Secondary screen disappeared. How to have it back?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

johnnystuff
Young Hen

Secondary screen disappeared. How to have it back?

Post by johnnystuff » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25

This is kinda weird. I was trying to fix another distro's issue with framebuffer and thought it may be due to the dual head setup, so I unplugged it. Please notice: this happened when I was NOT on sabayon, but messing with another live distro living in my usb stick. Okay, so I went back to my daily driver, which is sabayon, and the secondary monitor did not pop up. Nothing, not even the power led turned on.

Now, I was used to fiddle with xorg.conf for all these kind of stuff but I've read in the gentoo wiki that now things are to be done via xrender and adding and fixing files to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

I tried to have it recognized by both the nvida-setting tool and the system tool in "System-Setting -> Display" but it just doesn't see it anymore.

Where to start from? :|

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Secondary screen disappeared. How to have it back?

Post by Stupot » Wed Aug 09, 2017 16:56

Did you plug it back in?

johnnystuff
Young Hen

Re: Secondary screen disappeared. How to have it back?

Post by johnnystuff » Sat Aug 19, 2017 16:35

By the way, this got fixed by... uhm, shell I say it?... Windows!! :D

Yep, that's true. Monitor was like dead, tried launching win10 once and the led woke up after logging in but it remained black. Rebooted win again and this time it woke up magically again and it was recognized in sabayon too. I think it's some issue with the gpu and maybe the cable but anyway, still worth having that win partition! lol