Encryption at first install & keyboard layout

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

zongo
Baby Hen

Encryption at first install & keyboard layout

Post by zongo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:29

When installing with fresh Gnome ISO for the first time, change Keyboard layout and set to preferred layout. Remove the default 'en' layout. Click the option encrypt when partitioning the drive. Make sure your preferred keyboard layout is chosen and shown before typing the passphrase. In my example, it was Quertz 'de'. Type in the passphrase and finish the install. Reboot and type in the passphrase to move to user login screen. The keyboard layout is still in default 'en' and never changed to preferred layout chosen during install. So the passphrase that was typed with keyboard layout 'de' needs to be typed with keyboard layout 'en'. Took me a while to figure that one out :mrgreen:
I did run the install twice to isolate the mistake coming from me.
Is it normal ?

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Re: Encryption at first install & keyboard layout

Post by sabayonino » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:34

you can choose right keyboard and language at boot pressing "F2" for standard boot menu or "keyboard" and "language" for uefi mode

zongo
Baby Hen

Re: Encryption at first install & keyboard layout

Post by zongo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 14:59

Thanks for your reply but the point is, if the keyboard is set to 'de' and 'de' is shown and verified before typing the passphrase, wouldn't that mean the passphrase has been typed in layout 'de' and therefore when typing the passphrase to decrypt the layout should be 'de' ?