Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

wolfden
Sharecropper
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 0:55
Location: Midwest USA
Contact:

Re: Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

Post by wolfden » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:25

gamjaevel wrote:When i check the grub.cfg I do not find any line with the command GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= ... Can i add it manually?

however i can find this line in /etc/default/grub and currently it looks like this : GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
My bad on the location, think my clipboard did that, argh, but yea you found the right spot.

What exactly are you doing with the disc to boot your installation? Have you tried just editing the grub line when grub comes up? I'm a bit confused I guess with how the disc is used to boot your installation.

gamjaevel
Simple Hen
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:40

Re: Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

Post by gamjaevel » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:48

When i start the computer without the ISO disc, i get the black screen with a cursor, no keys are working whatsoever.
When i start with the ISO Disc in the computer I can choose the option "boot from first harddrive" and it works like a charm

(once the system is started i can just remove the disc from the tray and everything works as it should)

dave_64
Advanced Hen
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 20:33

Re: Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

Post by dave_64 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:32

You say you have no mouse or keyboard. But, have you tried using the key combo of:
ctrl + alt + f2
That key combo should give you a login prompt from the "black screen with blinking curser".
I don't think I've ever seen it fail.
If it does give you a login prompt, login as root, and issue this command:
eselect opengl list
What is the result?
Do you get the same result when you boot with the live dvd support?

gamjaevel
Simple Hen
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:40

Re: Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

Post by gamjaevel » Fri Apr 29, 2016 19:22

just tried it, and it didn't work. no keys seem to work at all during the black screen...

Stupot
Sagely Hen
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:44
Location: St. Louis, MO, USA

Re: Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

Post by Stupot » Fri Apr 29, 2016 22:28

Let's try with the vesa drivers. If those work, then we know the problem is with the graphics drivers. If those don't work, it means your problem exists before you even get that far.

To just try them out, you can edit your /etc/default/grub like you did for nomodeset, or you can do a one time edit when grub is up, which is what I'd recommend.

Check out https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=122257 Steps 1 - 3 of "If you can't boot successfully after installing Linux Mint." (They already have pretty pictures and everything!)

gamjaevel
Simple Hen
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:40

Re: Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

Post by gamjaevel » Sat Apr 30, 2016 16:16

Stupot wrote:Let's try with the vesa drivers. If those work, then we know the problem is with the graphics drivers. If those don't work, it means your problem exists before you even get that far.

To just try them out, you can edit your /etc/default/grub like you did for nomodeset, or you can do a one time edit when grub is up, which is what I'd recommend.

Check out https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=122257 Steps 1 - 3 of "If you can't boot successfully after installing Linux Mint." (They already have pretty pictures and everything!)
Thanks for your imput, but unfortunately that didn't solve the issue either.. Still no keys work during this blackscreen phase.
I'm really clueless at the moment!

User avatar
aposteeltje
Baby Hen
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 16:53

Re: Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

Post by aposteeltje » Sun May 01, 2016 0:44

Yes., i've seen this problem before.
I've checked your Card at the NVidia website, and if i'm not mistaking, it doesn't seem to be a Legasy-card,
but you ARE restricted to certain NVidia-Driver series.
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk
Now, because Sabayon is shipped with the latest NVidia drivers, (which your card probably doesn't support)
you get nicely greeted with a black screen and blinking cursor.
Here's a little "howto", that hopefully solves your problem:
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... sh_install
aposteeltje = batvink

gamjaevel
Simple Hen
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:40

Re: Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

Post by gamjaevel » Sun May 01, 2016 6:37

aposteeltje wrote:Yes., i've seen this problem before.
I've checked your Card at the NVidia website, and if i'm not mistaking, it doesn't seem to be a Legasy-card,
but you ARE restricted to certain NVidia-Driver series.
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk
Now, because Sabayon is shipped with the latest NVidia drivers, (which your card probably doesn't support)
you get nicely greeted with a black screen and blinking cursor.
Here's a little "howto", that hopefully solves your problem:
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... sh_install
Hello! and thanks. I think you're onto something here, thanks for that. WHen I check the nvidia page, I only found the 361.42 driver, did you find another one?

I tried the 304 driver, but the only thing it changed was my screen resolution to 1024.. going to try the 340 driver when I get home from work, it might do the trick.

User avatar
aposteeltje
Baby Hen
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 16:53

Re: Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

Post by aposteeltje » Sun May 01, 2016 14:30

I checked twice., i assume you have a notebook.
The 361 series is not yet available in Entropy., but it means that your card should work with the latest drivers.
Also, make a entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ :
As root:

Code: Select all

nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf
and make sure it has at least the following basic content:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Nvidia Card"
        Driver "nvidia"
        VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
        Option "NoLogo" "true" 
EndSection
Save the file: CTRL+O ;exit the nano-editor: CTRL+X and reboot.
Image
Image
aposteeltje = batvink

gamjaevel
Simple Hen
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:40

Re: Black screen blinking cursor (post install)

Post by gamjaevel » Sun May 01, 2016 21:52

aposteeltje wrote:I checked twice., i assume you have a notebook.
The 361 series is not yet available in Entropy., but it means that your card should work with the latest drivers.
Also, make a entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ :
As root:

Code: Select all

nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf
and make sure it has at least the following basic content:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Nvidia Card"
        Driver "nvidia"
        VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
        Option "NoLogo" "true" 
EndSection
Save the file: CTRL+O ;exit the nano-editor: CTRL+X and reboot.
Tried this method aswell, without luck...
What is going on :<

Post Reply