package downgrade?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

kevinfish
Young Hen

package downgrade?

Post by kevinfish » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:37

I need to downgrade a package a couple versions.

I can't make heads or tails out of this: https://lxnay.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/ ... epository/

Is there any better instructions out there anywhere, with like some real world style examples?

I can't find any older versions of this package on http://packages.sabayon.org

Where would the binary be found and how would I tell entropy about it?

TIA,
-Kevin

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Re: package downgrade?

Post by svantoviit » Sun Apr 17, 2016 13:18

Which package?

You will probably have to get your hands dirty with Portage.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:05

Yes, that blog post is 5 years old and it doesn't do justice describing what sabayon-weekly is. Sabayon-weekly updates packages slower so at points in time it is technically behind the sabayonlinux.org repo. Therefore, you can switch repos to sabayon-weekly and downgrade packages that have older versions in sabayon-weekly, but they won't be older for long. The idea is that if something broken somehow manages to make it the main repo (sabayonlinux.org) that maintainers will have a chance to fix it/revert it before it makes it out to sabayon-weekly. At least, that's the general idea.

Unfortunately, binary distributions demand binary compatibility, which means maintaining multiple version of packages extremely difficult and in a lot of cases outright impossible. I think the better question is why do you need to downgrade these packages? (I know, typical forum answer, right? Telling you that you're doing something non-standard instead of answering your question. But us linux folk are curious and it might be that we'll think of something you hadn't and it might be that we learn something new.)

So, if you could share a bit of information about your use case, I'm sure we can think of the best solution available. I'm hesitant to give your portage instructions because depending on the package, you could end up with an extremely broken system or perhaps just a system that is not compatible with a lot of entropy package compilations.

kevinfish
Young Hen

Post by kevinfish » Mon Apr 18, 2016 23:35

I'm trying to get the graphics going on a VX900-I mother board with a VX900 graphics processor. It currently comes up with a black screen with the Xorg (EE) errors:

Xorg.0.log.txt: (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 40.943] (EE) systemd-logind: failed to get session: PID 2568 does not belong to any known session
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 40.954] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.323] (EE) CHROME(0): [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:00:01.0: No such file or directory
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.327] (EE) CHROME(0): Unknown Card-Ids (7122|1019|7C8E), Chipset: VX900; please report to [email protected]
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.327] (EE)
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.327] (EE) Backtrace:
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.327] (EE) 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x49) [0x582939]
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.327] (EE) 1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x186929) [0x586929]
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.328] (EE) 2: /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x7f7ec39de000+0x34790) [0x7f7ec3a12790]
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.328] (EE) 3: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/openchrome_drv.so (0x7f7ebf0a9000+0x19461) [0x7f7ebf0c2461]
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.328] (EE) 4: /usr/bin/X (InitOutput+0xa83) [0x477c43]
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.328] (EE) 5: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x3b0da) [0x43b0da]
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.328] (EE) 6: /lib64/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0x114) [0x7f7ec39fea94]
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.328] (EE) 7: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x26afe) [0x426afe]
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.328] (EE)
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.328] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x0
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.328] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.328] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
Xorg.0.log.txt:[ 41.364] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

I recall reading somewhere (can't recall where) that I need the 0.3.1 openchrome rather than the 0.3.3 so I figured I'd give that a try. Another option is to try and use the arch linux-openchrome kernel like it says here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Via

If I have no /etc/xorg.conf it boots with a black screen. If do X --configure and take the resultant file, change the openchrome drive to the vesa driver, I get an UNaccelerated GUI. If the xf86-video-openchrome package is erased, with no xorg.conf file I get a 2d accelerated framebuffer.

I really need to milk as much video performance out of this as I can because the system is overall pretty sluggish. Just sitting there doing essentially nothing X is taking almost 50% of the cpu time. With the accelerated framebuffer, it drops to about half of that. Seems to me it should normally be under 10%. Am I wrong?

Also, as an additional question, I'm trying to blacklist the viafb module on the command line and I think I've figured out how to do that in /etc/default/grub, but what is the most canonical way (like preferably in the same file) to get rid of quiet and splash so I can see what is going on better as it boots?

Also, as an additional question, how can I speed this thing up in other ways, like with a kernel recompile, etc...?

Thanks,
-Kevin

kevinfish
Young Hen

Post by kevinfish » Tue Apr 19, 2016 0:08

Actually I have a correction on the previous posting:

In both vesa and fb modes above, it does show DRI yes, but if I grep the output of glxinfo for Acc it says Accellerated is no

An additional issue is my monitor wants 1920x1080 and I see that as one of the output modelines in the Xorg.0.log file, but I can't access it with clt-alt-+/-

A yet additional issue is when I'm playing with this and it gives me the black screen of death, I can't kill/restart X with ctl-alt-bs like one used to be able to do. I ctl-alt-f1 to get back to a console, but don't really know how to restart X without a reboot after I tinker with the config file. I try telinit 1 then it asks me for root password or ctrl-d to continue. If I hit ctl-d it gets all messed up. Should I be going telinit 3 then telinit 5 instead? Ctl-alt-bs seemed so much easier.

kevinfish
Young Hen

Post by kevinfish » Tue Apr 19, 2016 0:10

I have the following two cookbug reports, one with no openchrome and no xorg.conf and one with both:

cookbug.report.QAEwiG.tar.bz2 cookbug.report.rsFvhM.tar.bz2

How do I post them here?

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:32

Xorg killed off the ctrl + alt + backspace combo a few years ago. You can enable it again by overwriting the new default via this: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... tbackspace

However, to your main problem I googled "Unknown Card-Ids (7122|1019|7C8E), Chipset: VX900" which lead me to this: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=94210
which says:

"- For those Ubuntu with OpenChrome Version 0.3.3, please replace it with OpenChrome Version 0.3.4.

This includes Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and later releases.
Version 0.3.3 has the very bug you are dealing with, and this bug has been fixed between the current master branch and when Version 0.3.3 was released."

Note: I found your exact error here: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 07209.html but it's still been longer than that since 0.3.3 was released. (23 May 2013)

So it does seem as though you've a real problem to do the upstream package. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like 0.3.4 has been officially released yet, although hopefully soon. We definitely aren't the only distro being effected by this, unfortunately. You might not have great luck with a lot of distros.

There are instructions for you to download, install and run it, but they are a bit daunting if this is a new thing for you, and they aren't quite tailored for Sabayon/Gentoo:

I poked around a bit of the normal places I search for an older version of the package in Gentoo's portage tree and overlays, but all I found was 0.3.3 which has the issue.

Oh, apparently they just release 0.4.0 earlier this month https://cgit.freedesktop.org/openchrome ... 06b1ee75e2

I see the tarball here: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/driver/

The proper thing to do is to request this package via entropy (which will first need be put into a portage package). It might take a while to get it all up and running unfortunately, but it's truly the best path to take.

kevinfish
Young Hen

Post by kevinfish » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:41

How do I request a package via entropy?

IIRC one used to use a ~x86 or some sort flag in make.conf to get the beta packages via portage. Could I get 0.3.4 that way? If so what would I do? ~amd64?

I already see:

#Portage stuff
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"

in /etc/portage/make.conf.amd64

I guess that's because sabayon is already based on the "testing release?"

TIA

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:36

You can file package requests here:
https://bugs.sabayon.org/
open a new ticket

I don't know much about the package, but if it's in gentoo portage and a new release comes out, it will get bumped in entropy shortly after the new version hits portage.

Yes we use the testing branch of portage

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 17:29

Yes, we use the testing branch of portage, but it's not there yet. Also, it looks like they went with version 0.4.0, not 0.3.4, so that's the package you are actually going to want to request.

What really need to happen is someone needs to prod a Gentoo dev to update the portage package and it will make it's way to Sabayon shortly, as wolfden described. But I'm not sure who that would be, it's best to inform a Sabayon dev and let them handle that part.