aarg, sabayon installer wouldn't use unused space, aftermath

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

kevinfish
Young Hen

aarg, sabayon installer wouldn't use unused space, aftermath

Post by kevinfish » Tue Apr 12, 2016 23:24

I have a gripe and a question:

I installed and then I was trying to do a bunch of stuff and the system got so screwed up from the original I thought I'd install a clean copy on the same disk. I had originally created partitions for / /var /tmp /usr /home and so forth, and there was plenty of free unallocated space on the disk too.

I went to run the installer again and there was no way, without doing manual partitioning all over again, to get it to use the free space for the new installation but instead it wanted to split my root partition (sda2) in two (with the new one being sda10).

My plan was to get a clean / then just copy over /usr to my original partition for it, and edit fstab to mount /home and all the others.

So I went ahead with the install. As my ethernet is r8168 and it runs super slow because the only driver it will load is r8619, I tried emerge --sync (which took FOREVER) so I could equo install all r8618's dependencies then emerge the latter's package (which is unavailable in entropy) but in the process I ran out of ROOM! So I had to revert to the operation of trying to clean out /usr and putting it over on the old installation's /usr partition.

So I mounted the old usr on /mnt, moved lost+found to .lost+found there then rm -r *'ed in it, then cp -av'ed all the stuff in the new /usr over there.

I edited my fstab on sda10 to make it mount the newly created root (along with all the other partitions I created in the old system), then rm -rf'd all the contents of /usr then sync'ed a few times and rebooted.

When it came up, it gave me a message about my partition (now mounted under /newroot) didn't have init=/sbin/init. Why?

Also why won't sabayon first look for unused space on the disk when installing rather than just blithely splitting an existing partition (and not even giving me a choice about which to split)? I have plenty of disk space and there is no reason I should be running out in order to get this networking working right.

TIA,

-Kevin

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: aarg, sabayon installer wouldn't use unused space, after

Post by wolfden » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:00

I'm a bit lost on following this, but the installer wouldn't let you using the existing partitions?

I set a /boot / and linuxswap and if I ever reinstall, I just point the installer to those same 3 and it installs fine without have to manually partition anything. I do this in manual, but I don't repartition the drive.

So if I understand correctly, you have all the partitions setup, so in manual just select the various partitions and give them the right label /boot, /, etc...

Sorry if I misunderstand.

kevinfish
Young Hen

Post by kevinfish » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:50

wolfden wrote:I'm a bit lost on following this, but the installer wouldn't let you using the existing partitions?

I set a /boot / and linuxswap and if I ever reinstall, I just point the installer to those same 3 and it installs fine without have to manually partition anything. I do this in manual, but I don't repartition the drive.

So if I understand correctly, you have all the partitions setup, so in manual just select the various partitions and give them the right label /boot, /, etc...

Sorry if I misunderstand.
I was trying basically to have two versions of sabayon installed. The one I screwed up trying to fix things, and a fresh copy, so I could see what was different.

The problem was, when I went to install and told it to add it to the disk, rather than making a new partition in the ample empty space on my disk, it picked one of my already existing partitions and split it. Then when I installed and upgraded, the new split partition ran out of room. As one of my old partitions was for /usr, I just erased that and copied /usr out of the new partition. So I'd have room to upgrade and install more, at the same time I removed /usr just before remounting (and after updating fstab to mount the updated /usr partition after reboot). Then it gave the errors I mentioned.

I've gone ahead and installed again over the old partitions because I didn't have time to figure it out. But I've still not been able to use my original /home partition. I think it must have something to do with the UUID scheme now. I've got bigger problems now though, like not being able to downgrade the openchrome graphics to get even 2d accel going (see my more recent posting on that) so I'll have to post what /home is doing later

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:29

I'm going to guess that is a Calamares issue as I would think telling it to use existing space should not touch the used space.