Difficulty Installing.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Anthony2020
Baby Hen

Difficulty Installing.

Post by Anthony2020 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 0:49

Hi all.

Before I begin I want to congratulate Sabayon for producing what has to be the nicest looking OS on earth. I love it.

Unfortunately, I only seem to be able to run it from the live disk. When I install it, it goes all the way but on the very last screen, I tick the box to re start but only have the option to 'quit'. Nothing else. I thought 'quit' meant 'finish' but clearly not because when I reboot I only have a Grub> prompt.

I have gone online to look for answers but have come up with nothing. Ive used Linux for 6 years now (Predominantly Ubuntu and derivatives plus a casual flirtation with both Fedora and Suse (Rock solid) ) So I can probably follow any technical advice.

Please can someone advise?

Thanks for a lovely OS.

Anthony

dave_64
Advanced Hen

Re: Difficulty Installing.

Post by dave_64 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 15:12

Did you have a complicated install? Sabayon's installer (Calamares) has been known to be less than perfect when it comes to the "custom install" option. If you have to delete, or resize, or create partitions, it might be better to do that with something like gparted. For myself, I usually install to a pre existing partition, or, if there is some free space on the drive, I create a partition from the free space and install there. I've never had any trouble when I install to a pre existing partition, or, installing in free space.

Anthony2020
Baby Hen

Re: Difficulty Installing.

Post by Anthony2020 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 15:56

Hi Dave.

Yeah its a brand new laptop that came pre installed with Ubuntu. Good OS but I was looking for something different. I installed Sabayon over Ubuntu. so that Sda1 was Efi (fat 32) - sda2 linux filesystem (presumably sabayon) and sda3 is now a swap partition.

So that should be fine - but it isn't.

I have had two really nice guys try to help me on your irc chat thingy but to no avail. It seems the original issues with grub 2 that frankly all other distros have solved since it came out a good while back - is still an issue for Sabayon.

Its a shame too because I really like sabayon on the live disk. However after days of trying, Im now giving up and going to try something else. Maybe Suse or Mint - I know they install ok.

I will however, look out for the next release and see if Sabayon has caught up with the rest of the linux world and soved this very old and very tiresome grub issue.

Please consider this thread closed. I can't be bothered with something so hard to install when there are so many easier OS's to install.

Shame, I really wanted this to work.

Kind regards to you all and thanks to those who so kindly tried to help.

Anthony.