Aorus X5, unable to get UI on LiveCD

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Aorus X5, unable to get UI on LiveCD

Post by lonesomecrow » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:53

Hi folks, as the title says, I am not able to get a UI when I boot off the LiveCD or USB. When the notebook is about to load the UI, it just hangs unresponsive. Choosing to boot into a terminal works, I can run commands without them hanging, but as soon as I run

Code: Select all

xinit
the UI hangs again and the notebook becomes unresponsive. I believe it is because of the dual 965M nvidia cards in the notebook.

The hardware is:
Intel i7 5700HQ
nVidia 965M SLI
256 GB M.2 SSD x 2 in RAID
1 TB HDD

I tried Sabayon GNOME 16.02, as well as 15.10 KDE previously, both with the same results.

Anyone here willing to help??

lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Re: Aorus X5, unable to get UI on LiveCD

Post by lonesomecrow » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:30

Bump. Anyone please?

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:39

Never had SLI here, but off the top of my head, does the bios allow the option to disable one card and than see if it boots and installs and than setup Xorg to configure both cards after the install.

Once installed at least one can gain a log file of what is going on with the boot. Oh wait, you said you can gain access to terminal, so maybe you could try to access the boot log. Try

Code: Select all

journalctl -b
instead of xinit and see if it gives you any clues as to where it is having issues.

lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Post by lonesomecrow » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:03

Lost my flash drives, I'm trying an external DVD with not even a complete terminal boot.
Will update when get I at least a complete terminal boot.

lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Post by lonesomecrow » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:40

I got a hold of my drives and gave it another try. Boot hangs with a bunch of ACPI Warnings.
Select disable ACPI on boot menu and try to boot with same errors. I'm going to try to copy the logfile of a command line boot since that is the only boot I can get so far.

lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Post by lonesomecrow » Tue Mar 01, 2016 18:11

I can't figure out how to copy the log from a terminal boot. Can you walk me through on how to do it?

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:13

are you getting to a command prompt, have internet access?

Have you tried safe mode?

lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Post by lonesomecrow » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:38

Hi, I believe my USB stick was corrupt so I went and got a new one and used imageUSB rather than Unetbootin to create the bootable drive, I was able to get a working USB with three different distros (in three separate times) successfully, my mistake however, was to install Ubuntu on a BTRFS partition to see if it would work, and it did. But now I can't install Sabayon since Calamares crashes since there is a known bug in which Calamares doesn't support such partition types. Once I get more time to convert my BTRFS to something else, I will update my post.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:32

I had no problems installing Calamares on to a btrfs partition. I created the partition ahead of time and just told calamares to use it as / I also did a /boot and /swap before hand. Calamares just wont create a btrfs partiton.

lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Post by lonesomecrow » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:39

Odd, when Calamares exits on a terminal it complains about something "unsupported partition type"