Can't get ibus to work

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Zeikcied
Simple Hen

Can't get ibus to work

Post by Zeikcied » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:01

I installed ibus, ibus-anthy, and ibus-qt, in an attempt to be able to write with Japanese Kana and Kanji. Though my learning Japanese is on hold for now, I hope to find a better method to learn, and with that I'd need to be able to enter in the characters.

Now, I know there was a Qt4 frontend for ibus, but I guess there isn't one for Qt5 yet? The GTK+ frontend doesn't look very good under KDE. I think I have it set to use Alt+` to switch input methods, and I have Anthy set up on the Input Method tab. I copied the following into ~/.bashrc, because ibus-setup says to:

Code: Select all

export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
  export [email protected]=ibus
  export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
And I made a small change to the lines in ~/.xprofile, as I saw mentioned on another site via Google search:

# IME and non-roman fonts support
# see Sabayon bug #2518
if [ -x "/usr/bin/ibus-setup" ]; then
	export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
	export [email protected]=ibus
	export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
fi
(The last line used to be export QT_IM_MODULE=xim, but the post I saw said to set it to ibus.)

When I start ibus-setup, it always says the ibus-daemon isn't running, so I hit "Yes" to start it. I try to hit Alt+` to switch to Japanese, and nothing happens. (I did remove the kwin shortcut that was binded to the same key combination so it wouldn't interfere.)

I have a feeling there's a simple solution and that I'm missing something. But I was able to use ibus just fine as recently as Kubuntu 14.10. I don't remember if I used it at all in Kubuntu 15.04, when they switched to Plasma 5 as the default, and I know I didn't set it up in Kubuntu 15.10. So I don't know if I ever got it to work in KDE/Plasma 5.

But right now it's not working. Not in GTK apps, not in Qt apps. The ibus-daemon is running, but it just isn't working.

Zeikcied
Simple Hen

Re: Can't get ibus to work

Post by Zeikcied » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:52

So, between then and now I was able to get it to work. Something happened, I think in an ibus update, or something, that allowed me to properly select my key combination. Then it started working.

Now, I think ibus had another update, and now it's not working again. All the ibus processes are running, but the ibus tray icon isn't showing. I can still select Anthy, but it isn't working in GTK apps like Firefox or Chrome. It's not working in all Qt apps, either. For example, it's not working in Kate, but it does work in Choqok. So I know it's working somewhat.

As far as I know, nothing has changed other than the ibus update from last month. :(

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:36

anything in the log file that shows errors? - use journalctl to access the logs

also make sure you did a

equo deptest

Zeikcied
Simple Hen

Post by Zeikcied » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:47

I don't see anything... But I'm not sure which journal to check.

Also, deptest doesn't show anything missing.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:03

is the ibus-daemon running?

if you try to start it?

ibus-daemon -drx

Zeikcied
Simple Hen

Post by Zeikcied » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:06

wolfden wrote:is the ibus-daemon running?

if you try to start it?

ibus-daemon -drx
Yeah, it's running.

Like I said in my second post, I can switch to Anthy, and it works in Choqok, but it doesn't work in Kate, Firefox, or Chrome. So no GTK apps, and not all Qt apps. It's weird. I had this problem on Kubuntu a few years ago, but I don't remember if I did anything to fix it then, and I can't find any relevant posts from me on Kubuntu Forums or Ubuntu Forums.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18

oh, ok, I missed that part. I don't use it so I'm not much help :-/

If you start one of the programs up from the command line, does it spit out any errors?

Zeikcied
Simple Hen

Post by Zeikcied » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:26

wolfden wrote:oh, ok, I missed that part. I don't use it so I'm not much help :-/

If you start one of the programs up from the command line, does it spit out any errors?
Nope. Tried launching Firefox and Kate from the Konsole, and no errors.

As I said, it did work, then ibus updated last month and now it doesn't. It makes me sad. :( I haven't tried using it since the update. Well, until tonight, that is.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:50

Maybe try and downgrade it via portage to see? You will need to install gcc if you don't have it

equo install sys-devel/gcc && sys-devel/base-gcc
than you will need to do

emerge --sync
which will take a bit to do

emerge =app-i18n/ibus-x.xx
fill the x.xx with the version you know worked

If everything works after doing that, than there maybe a bug to file

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:52

portage has:

Available versions:  1.5.5^t (~)1.5.8-r1^t (~)1.5.9-r1^t 1.5.10^t 1.5.11^t (~)1.5.12^t