Dual Booting

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Dual Booting

Postby peaveyman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 21:57

I have Windows 8.1 on a HDD. I assume the bootloader for it is loaded into the MBR on that drive. I have a separate drive I want to install Sabayon on. The way I'm thinking about doing this is to unplug the Windows drive, install Sabayon onto it's drive, install grub there. Then set my Bios to ask which drive to boot from. That way I can select which one I want to boot and both bootloaders will be separate and if there is a problem with either drive the other should still be bootable. Does this sound feasible?
peaveyman
Baby Hen

Re: Dual Booting

Postby dave_64 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 23:29

Yes, this should work with no problem. After installing sabayon on your new drive, power down and plug your old drive in. It's not really necessary to do it that way, but if you are uncertain about how to install a dual boot, it is a good practice until you know how to install a dual boot without the extra trouble of resetting the bios hard drive boot order every time you want to boot a different OS.
Before you reinstall your old hard drive, it might be a good idea to practice installing sabayon dual boot with itself. In other words, install sabayon on a separate partition, then install again on another partition. Learning how to install using the "custom partition and install" option, allows you to take some risks with your installation, knowing that you can reinstall or use an alternative installation. Just remember to unplug your windows drive before any sabayon installs. By the way, I've done what you are suggesting many times when I was learning linux.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby peaveyman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 23:39

If this isn't the way to do it then what is? Is there an option in the installer to choose which drive to install grub to?
peaveyman
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:08

I wish I could give you an answer, but it's been so long since I did a dual boot on a multidrive computer that I can't remember. I am guessing that if you choose both "allowable drives", sabayon will default to install grub on the first drive mbr. Or, there may be an option to install grub on the drive of your choice. Sorry, I can't recall.
Do you know what I mean when I suggest you learn how to install using the "custom partition and install" option? Typically, you would delete any and all old partitions, unless you have a reason to keep them. Then create a swap partition, and a root partition. Make the root partition small enough that you have enough room in the unpartitioned space to create a second installation. When you have mastered the basics of installing, you can learn linux with confidence that you can always reinstall if you break something.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area