How to install Sabayon 14.07 from USB device?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How to install Sabayon 14.07 from USB device?

Postby mhzuchini » Wed Aug 06, 2014 16:04

It would sound maybe strange, but right now, August, 2014, I've struggling the same issue: trying to put Sabayon 14.07 AMD64 Gnome on a USB stick... no success... at all!!!

Because one could need a USB system install if his machine doesn't have a CD/DVD drive...

Just when I used the win32diskimager suggested by wolfden in this post https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Booting_Sabayon_LiveDVD_Image_from_a_USB_Device_with_Grub I had success.

Following the tips on https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Booting_Sabayon_LiveDVD_Image_from_a_USB_Device_with_Grub and https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Introduction#Installation_Guide:_Step_by_Step leaded to a non-bootable USB, using GRUB2. I've tried ext2 and ext3 fs as well as fat32 and variations.
Unetbootin ends up with a non-bootable device too... it shows the GRUB initial boot, but soon it fires a "no iSCSI initiator found. Media not found..." and seconds after it a "no bootable medium found".

Only using the win32diskimager gave me a successful USB device... on booting, at first I've seen the same "no iSCI initiator..." message, but soon the Sabayon kernel was found and loaded. After that, it was possible to install Sabayon on the hard drive, what was the intention at first.

No clue why... and I really would like to know why... the functional USB device shows the following partition table:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 0 3098623 1549312 0 Empty
/dev/sdb2 4036 38595 17280 ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

Looking inside, /dev/sdb1 contains the ISO image contents and it's mounted readonly.
/dev/sdb2 contains directories "boot" and "efi" only...

Does anybody have any clue?
______
Dell Inspiron 15 5547 - Gnome
Linux sabayonx86-64 4.2.0-sabayon
mhzuchini
Simple Hen

Re: How to install Sabayon 14.07 from USB device?

Postby evgeniusx » Wed Aug 06, 2014 18:41

evgeniusx
Young Hen

Postby mhzuchini » Thu Aug 07, 2014 19:17

Hi, evgeniusx , thanks for reply.

Well, not working... I followed your tips. Here is my grub.cfg entry:
Code: Select all
menuentry "Sabayon via USB ISO boot" {
   set iso=/Sabayon_Linux_14.07_amd64_GNOME.iso
   loopback loop ${iso}
   linux  (loop)/boot/sabayon root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc dokeymap looptype=squashfs aufs loop=/livecd.squashfs cdroot initrd=sabayon.igz vga=791 isoboot=${iso}
   initrd (loop)/boot/sabayon.igz
}

I could see the menu entry on GRUB and the kernel really starts to boot, but then I received a
VFS: could not find a valid V7 on ram0.
UDF-fs warning (device ram0): udf_fill_super: No partition found (2)
List of all partitions:
... a list of my sd's partitions, including USB device...
No filesystem could mount root, tried: squashfs vfat msdos iso9660 hfs syv v7 hpfs ufs romfs qnx4 udf brfs
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root on unknown-block(1,0)

It seems that the ISO was chainlinked by GRUB but the kernel doesn't find where to mount.

Any clues?
______
mhzuchini
Simple Hen

Postby mhzuchini » Fri Aug 08, 2014 21:30

Well... I've trying and decided to redo all steps. But this time I tried ext4 on USB.
All the same: I formatted USB and this time I used ext4 fs. Next, I've copied the boot menu from ISO to USB, edited grub.cfg exactly as above in order to do an ISO boot, installed GRUB2...
This time, the USB booted on at least 1 machine, but failed on other one...
The former USB device boots flawlessly on both machines... God knows why...
Still trying to understand.
______
mhzuchini
Simple Hen

Postby evgeniusx » Fri Aug 08, 2014 21:35

try
dd if=/you/iso of=/you/usb/flash
evgeniusx
Young Hen

Postby mhzuchini » Wed Aug 13, 2014 15:24

OK, now the odd thing: the USB pendrive created as above (ext4, GRUB2, isoboot options) works on many machines. BUT: it fails on 2 of them, and both machines have SSD disks or hybrid SSD/SATA HDs.
The main purpose of this issue is to install Sabayon on a DELL Inspiron 15 series 5000. It has an i7-4510U CPU, touchscreen, multitouch pad, 1 TB hybrid HD.
I was unable to boot with the ext4 pendrive. I was forced to use the first pendrive (prepared with win32diskimager as described first) to install Sabayon. By the way, it didn't recognize the touchpad, but this is another topic.
______
mhzuchini
Simple Hen

Postby TheOneLaw » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:01

I bashed my head against the wall for about a week trying to understand EFI booting,
and eventually I came to understand we desperately need to differentiate whether we are booting

----------------------------------------------------BIOS

as opposed to

-----------------------------------------------------EFI

they belong in completely different contexts.

Some EFI machines may require the EFI to be FAT16, some don't care if it is FAT32,
but all will require the EFI partition to be some kind of FAT and have the BOOT flag.
If you are failing to boot EFI it is because your EFI partition is sdb2.
The EFI partition must not follow the main or root partition - it must precede the main and bootable stuff.
That is a jarringly stupid thing to require but that is what the EFI people did, and we gotta live with it.

If it fails to boot BIOS
then I will not say anything because I am already outside that loop anymore.

good luck with your machines
=======================================================================
It would be nice if you edit your post title to reflect whether this is either a BIOS or an EFI problem
TheOneLaw
Baby Hen

Postby sabayonino » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:57

Hi

boot parameters are bad init=linuxrc is an OpenRC side

if you try to open *GNOME*.ISO (or others) and check cfg.txt inside isolinux directory you'll find :
label sabayon
  menu label ^Start Sabayon 14.08 GNOME
  kernel /boot/sabayon
  append initrd=/boot/sabayon.igz aufs cdroot splash vga=791 quiet --
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area