how to safely remove kernel and extensions after switch

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

how to safely remove kernel and extensions after switch

Postby Multimandala » Mon Jul 28, 2014 15:26

Hello, I've switched kernels with the kernel switcher from 3.14 to 3.15, it went well. [ I'm used to ubuntu terminal by the way and following tutorials ;-) ] my ' problem ' right now is that I have a whole bunch of dependent packages that are present for both kernels, exemple all the virtualbox ones, present for both 3.14 and 3.15. I looked around to find info on how to safely remove old kernels, or mask them, but I did not find easy answers. When I'll upgrade to 3.16 I'd like not to have 3 versions of all these packages around. I went to the rigo manager and I could have deleted the 3.14 sabayon kernel but I chickened out looking at the other stuff that would be removed and I don't feel like breaking my system -- right now I can live with multiple versions of packages but it is not the ideal.

So, any simple equo tutorial to follow to safely remove the older kernels without breaking anything ?

Baby Hen

Re: how to safely remove kernel and extensions after switch

Postby Stupot » Mon Jul 28, 2014 16:17

Once I'm satisfied that a new kernel is working well for me, I simply remove the old kernel, which cleans up anything that depends specifically on that kernel.

I do tend to keep one other kernel just to be safe though.
Sagely Hen

Re: how to safely remove kernel and extensions after switch

Postby svantoviit » Mon Jul 28, 2014 20:26

equo cares for everything ;)

Code: Select all
# equo rm -a linux-sabayon:3.14
╠ - Calculating inverse dependencies for x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.1╠ \ Calculating inverse dependencies for app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-addition╠ | Calculating inverse dependencies for net-wireless/broadcom-sta-╠ / Calculating inverse dependencies for app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-4.3.12╠  @@ These are the packages that would be removed:
╠  ## [sabayon-weekly] app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-4.3.12#3.14.0-sabayon#3.14.0-sabayon [464.7kB]
╠  ## [sabayon-weekly] app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-4.3.12#3.14.0-sabayon#3.14.0-sabayon [4.8MB]
╠  ## [sabayon-weekly] x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.12#3.14.0-sabayon#3.14.0-sabayon [13.3MB]
╠  ## [sabayon-weekly] net-wireless/broadcom-sta- [6.4MB]
╠  ## [sabayon-weekly] sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-3.14.13 [155.1MB]
╠  @@ Packages that would be removed: 5
╠  @@ Freed disk space: 180.1MB
╠  @@ Total bandwidth wasted: 66.9MB
     Would you like to proceed ? [Yes/No]

Similar as Stupot, I usually keep 2 kernels. Latest stable and one LTS kernel. 3.14 is the most actual kernel with long term support, see
Old Dear Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area