Crashing after update

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Crashing after update

Postby IronPipe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 17:29

Hi all,

I'm running the Xfce 64 bit Sabayon and after the most recent update (around June 29th) my system has begun to crash. Without fail if I try to set the theme in Code Blocks editor or look through the menus of Eclipse editor the screen will freeze and then my system will reboot after 15-30 seconds. Using the file manager can randomly cause a reboot but I don't see a pattern with it like with the editors.

I'm sorry, I don't know where to look to narrow the cause of the issue. Where should I start to track this bug down?

Thanks for the help.
IronPipe
Baby Hen

Re: Crashing after update

Postby illalien » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:52

This is probably not going to be of much help, but someone should write something?

First of all check messages in /var/log.

I use KDE so I don't know what your applications are.
However, the first thing I do when things like this happen is to launch the applications through a console.
That way you often get messages that would otherwise be invisible and sometimes you can give arguments as well.

I have never had a kernel panic in Sabayon so I don't know if there is a setting to automatically reboot if it happens, but it certainly sounds like it.

If so it's probably a memory problem of some kind, maybe a corrupt library...
-Are you really, really sure your RAM is 100% OK?
illalien
Young Hen

Re: Crashing after update

Postby wolfden » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:21

have you tried

eqou deptest
equo libtest

After doing updates I generally at least equo deptest to make sure everything is good.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area