External drive issues

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

External drive issues

Postby doc_eggfan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 22:11

Hi all,

Never had this problem before, but external drives are really tempermental at the moment. They either don't get recognised at all, or if they do and I mount them and try to copy data, they just drop out, my copy fails and I can't mount them again.

I noticed when I log out it says "maybe a bad usb cable" but I've tested it on other machines and it's fine.

Maybe there was something I didn't do in the transitions to systemd? I'm using XFCE Sabayon.
doc_eggfan
Baby Hen

Re: External drive issues

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:24

Hallo guys.
Here's another observation, I've made...
I've mounted my external, recognised USB3 disk. I can access it. So far, so good. But after resume from supend-to-ram, my (mounted) USB3 ext. disk is no more existing/recognised. I don't get any messages. And I can't access the drive by using Dolphin or other anymore. There is no (more) USB symbol in my system tray.
In root console, this external drive is not displayed when typing:
Code: Select all
fdisk -l

There's only my internal disk (/dev/sda).
I'm using KDE 4.13.2 64bit with Kernel 3.15.1 now.
I remember, there's a history of problems with external disks, especially when USB3. Due to such a problem I have lost my backup media data in last year.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area