Adding VPN connection in NetworkManager

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Adding VPN connection in NetworkManager

Postby sora » Fri Jun 20, 2014 18:57

Hello, I need to add a VPN connection to get access to the internet of my university. (AnyConnect).
Before Sabayon I got Manjaro(which is based on arch), and there I just had to install openvpn for networkmanager and I could easily add the VPN connection.

Now I tryed the same here but when I want to add a vpn connection the field for "saving" stays untouchable (I can't click on it.)

Thanks for your help in advance :mrgreen:
sora
Baby Hen

Re: Adding VPN connection in NetworkManager

Postby Honeyman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 14:14

Hi sora,

I had a similiar issue with VPN at my Free University Berlin, Germany. Here we can use openconnect for connecting via a VPN. Don't know whether that will work for you, as you mentionend anyconnect, this sounds like they use Cisco's proprietary VPN-client, so you might have to ask the guys (or girls for that matter) from the IT department. I also failed to connect via a GUI, so I use to the command line, which works well.

The command I use is:

Code: Select all
$ sudo openconnect --disable-ipv6 -v --servercert=ABCCD1B67B30C78951A8B0D7E0C008A456AB8E3A vpn.fu-berlin.de

The option -v is for verbose output, one can drop that, if not desired.

The command is configured for my settings of course, so you will have to modify it.

I created an alias in my .bash_aliases so make things easier:

Code: Select all
alias open='sudo openconnect --disable-ipv6 -v --servercert=ABCCD1B67B30C78951A8B0D7E0C008A456AB8E3A vpn.fu-berlin.de

You will have to ask for your exact server certificate settings for the command to work.

Hopefully, that helps you somewhat. I cannot tell, why using a GUI fails, here the network manager always complains about being unable to fetch the required certificate.
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Postby sora » Wed Jun 25, 2014 19:52

is there any workaround to get the server certificate without first connecting to the VPN ?
sora
Baby Hen

Postby Honeyman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 20:27

Actually you only need to provide the certificate identification (that is the "--servercert=ABCCD1B67B30C78951A8B0D7E0C008A456AB8E3A" stuff). Ask your IT-guys about it, they should tell you. That's what they did, when asked for help with access via VPN on Linux. They provided me with the entire command I posted, so that was really helpful.
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area