How to set applications to Italian language? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How to set applications to Italian language? [Solved]

Postby maccabbeo » Sat May 31, 2014 11:23

Hi,
some applications are not set to Italian language despite I selected it during the OS installation process.
Two different kinds of examples:

1) thunderbird menu is set to English. How to set it in Italian? Why didn't it set automatically during installation process?

2) firefox menu is shown in Italian language but the results of the google search were mostly based on English language. I had to change the results language on the preferences menu. But why the menu language and the result language were not set accordingly to the default system language (Italian)?

Thanks,
regards.
maccabbeo
Simple Hen

Re: How to set applications to Italian language?

Postby maccabbeo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 0:42

bump
maccabbeo
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 17:37

Using the SL Forums Search facility I found the following thread: Localized language in Firefox and Thunderbird [Solved]. Try that. For Thunderbird the way to view the the configuration parameters is by selecting Edit > Preferences | General | Config Editor. As general.useragent.locale is set to en-GB on my main laptop (as distinct from en_GB) I assume you could try it-IT or it.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby maccabbeo » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:20

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually the correct path to reach the general.useragent.locale is
Edit > Preferences | Advanced | General | Config Editor

You are right: en-GB was set for me too. However, neither it nor it-IT worked for me despite I've been restarting Thunderbird after each change.

What else should I do?
Thanks.
maccabbeo
Simple Hen

Postby maccabbeo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 20:38

It does not work since language packs are not available on the version currently available on Sabayon repos.
So, how to solve that problem?
Is it me the only one with such a problem?
maccabbeo
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:16

The latest version of Thunderbird for Linux is 24.6.0. The binary package for that version is currently in the Entropy Limbo repository and will end up in the Entropy Weekly repository shortly. According to the Mozilla Thunderbird Web site, the language pack for that version is available on the Mozilla Thunderbird Web site for any OS at the following URL:

http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/moz ... xpi/it.xpi

Have you actually tried to install that .xpi file in Thunderbird? If not, try it and see what happens. If it does not work, wait until version 24.6.0 of Thunderbird is available in the Weekly repository, install it, and then install the language pack you downloaded.

Alternatively, if you are desperate to install the Italian language pack for version 24.5.0 of Thunderbird, you can find it on the Mozilla Thunderbird Web site too:

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby maccabbeo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 21:05

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Alternatively, if you are desperate to install the Italian language pack for version 24.5.0 of Thunderbird, you can find it on the Mozilla Thunderbird Web site too:

I have 24.5.0 and the above solution worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!
Just to make it clear, I'm not "desperate" :) I speak/understand 5 languages and definitively English is not a problem for me. I just wanted to learn how to do it and most of all I wanted to point out something over which maybe the Sabayon team should think: if an user choses a language during installation than "maybe" he/she wishes to get the whole system (third party applications included, possibly) to be set in such a language. In other words, if I chose to install Sabayon in German language then I expect Thunderbird to be set in German: not in Italian, nor in English, nor in Finnish, nor any other language. :)
It is just a suggestion to improve Sabayon usability :wink: Hope you appreciate it.
maccabbeo
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:27

I am not part of the SL development team; I'm purely and simply a moderator of these forums. I suspect the small development team don't have the time to read all the threads in these forums. The vast majority of the responders are users.

It's not feasible to have pre-built packages for all the many languages. That's why some application developers provide language pack plug-ins for users to install themselves.

I had no idea how to solve your problem but I found the solution using Google, the links in the MozillaZine article I gave you the link for in an earlier post, and deduction. So I did the donkey work for you this time, but really it is something that you should be able to do yourself. It does not require any technical expertise or know-how, just the ability to search the Web and use some common sense.

Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. I'll do it for you this time, but please do it yourself next time.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area