Openbox & the Minimal iso

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Openbox & the Minimal iso

Postby dhinds » Sun May 11, 2014 2:02

I downloaded today's (10 of May) Daily build of the minimal iso with the idea of putting an openbox version of Sabayon together. (I have used openbox with some success with Debian and Arch derivatives). But no ready made Sabayon Openbox version exists.

The default boot brings me to the command line. What then? Is there a guide that describes carrying out the next steps?

Thanks in advance for the orientation.
dhinds
Young Hen

Re: Openbox & the Minimal iso

Postby Honeyman » Mon May 12, 2014 0:06

You will have to install packages for openbox.

Switch to root user:

Code: Select all
# su -

In case you haven't done the first steps after install, please follow the instruction from the Sabayon-Wiki: https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Introduction#Begin_updating_and_upgrading

In any case do an upgrade of your current system:

# equo update && equo upgrade --ask

Search for openbox packages:

# equo search openbox
╠  @@ Suche...
╠      @@ Paket: x11-misc/openbox-menu-0.5.0 Branch: 5, [sabayon-weekly]
╠          Verfügbar:      Version: 0.5.0 ~ tag: NoTag ~ Version: 1
╠          Installiert:    Version: Nicht installiert ~ tag: n/a ~ Version: n/a
╠          Slot:           0
╠          Homepage:       http://mimasgpc.free.fr/openbox-menu_en.html
╠          Beschreibung:   Another dynamic menu generator
╠                          for Openbox
╠          Lizenz:         GPL-3
╠      @@ Paket: x11-wm/openbox-3.5.2-r1 Branch: 5, [sabayon-weekly]
╠          Verfügbar:      Version: 3.5.2-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ Version: 0
╠          Installiert:    Version: 3.5.2-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ Version: 0
╠          Slot:           3
╠          Homepage:       http://openbox.org/
╠          Beschreibung:   A standards compliant, fast, light-weight,
╠                          extensible window manager
╠          Lizenz:         GPL-2
╠   Schlüsselwörter:  openbox
╠   Gefunden:         2 Einträge

Install them via:

# equo install x11-misc/openbox-menu-0.5.0 x11-wm/openbox-3.5.2-r1

You will also need a login manager.
See here for the options you have, and also which system services to start, so get a GUI login screen:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/display_manager
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Install_Display_Managers
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Postby dhinds » Mon May 12, 2014 14:31

Thank you Honeyman for your informative response. However, a couple problems remain and I'm not sure how grave they are:

1.- I haven't installed Sabayon Minimal to hard drive yet. Logically, I wanted to try it out first and to do so, I downloaded two iso files, that of Gnome and the most recent Minimal version, each of which I burned to an usb flash drive using unetbootin on SparkyLinux Ultra Openbox, which I am using at the moment on this desktop computer.

The Gnome iso won't load on the target computer, a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 which already runs ManjaroBox (Manjaro w/ Openbox) quite well. Sabayon Gnome stops loading with a wide green stripe across the screen. I have already described my experience with Sabayon Minimal edition.

2.- Although I appreciate the support you offered, the commands you provided are in German, a language in which I am far from fluent, at present. I could look for an English version or try coding in German; but

3.- I also tried running a live session of Calculate Linux (another Gentoo based distribution which seems to run the live session very well) with XCFE, a desktop environment that Sabayon also has available. Perhaps that might be a better way of determining how Sabayon would run on the ThinkPad.

I will download and burn Sabayon XFCE to a usb drive next weekend and report on my experience.

Thanks again for your help.
dhinds
Young Hen

Postby Honeyman » Mon May 12, 2014 21:25

dhinds wrote:Thank you Honeyman for your informative response. However, a couple problems remain and I'm not sure how grave they are:

1.- I haven't installed Sabayon Minimal to hard drive yet. Logically, I wanted to try it out first and to do so, I downloaded two iso files, that of Gnome and the most recent Minimal version, each of which I burned to an usb flash drive using unetbootin on SparkyLinux Ultra Openbox, which I am using at the moment on this desktop computer.

The Gnome iso won't load on the target computer, a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 which already runs ManjaroBox (Manjaro w/ Openbox) quite well. Sabayon Gnome stops loading with a wide green stripe across the screen. I have already described my experience with Sabayon Minimal edition.

But you get beyond the initial "boot list" where you can select to run a live session, install directly to your hard drive or test memory, etc.?

2.- Although I appreciate the support you offered, the commands you provided are in German, a language in which I am far from fluent, at present. I could look for an English version or try coding in German; but

Well, actually only part of the output is in German, sorry for that, I hoped it wouldn't be too confusing.

The commands for the entropy package manager are in English anyway.

Searching for a package:

equo search PACKAGE

Installing a package:

equo install PACKAGE NAME

Updating your system (updating repositories information then downloading and installing new package version, with the ask option you still have the chance to review the changes in case due to dependency issues some packages will get removed from your system)

equo update && equo upgrade --ask

Translation for the German words:

Verfügbar > Available
Installiert > Installed
Beschreibung > Description
Lizenz > License
Schlüsselwörter > Key words
Gefunden > Found
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Postby dhinds » Mon May 12, 2014 23:22

I am running Sabayon Minimal in a live session. If I can install openbox and everything works, I will install it to the hard disk. (I gave up on Sabayon Gnome for the moment).

I booted Sabayon Minimal in a live session on a different computer (an Asus MA578L-M LX+ / AMD FX based desktop) and was not asked for a password. I get the Flubox interface. There is very little installed. Not even a graphical www browser is listed. I will try to install some additional applications using the format you provided. The fact that you are following up this is very positive. (There were like 70+ views with no responses).

I suppose I could try to learn flubox but I already know a bit about openbox, to which I usually add a few xfce apps.

# equo update && equo upgrade --ask

Tells me that the Rigo-deamon is not installed and I can't upgrade.

I tried equo install rigo-daemon as root but I'm told that I have no repositories installed.

I tried:

equo repo mirrorsort sabayon-weekly

and am told that
sabayonlinux.org is no available.  Can not validate repository error

I don't think it's connecting to the internet. (This is a different computer. It's the LenovoThinkPad W520 running a live session of CLDX).

There have DSL connection problems here all day on all machines. I finally reported it to the phone company. I am connecting off and on with other OS's however.

The computer in question is not connecting with any OS. When I get the Internet connection fixed (this is the first time in 3 years it has failed) I will take this up again. I downloaded the most recent Sabayon XCFE to try that on other computers also, meanwhile. Thank you for your assistance.
dhinds
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area