Post-Weekly-Update Problems [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Post-Weekly-Update Problems [Solved]

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:55

Hello.

Prior to running my usual weekly update on two systems, both systems were running well. I just updated on both systems. One system (ASUS laptop) is running well. The other system (desktop) is having problems. Symptoms/Issues include:

1. eth0 is not coming up. "ifconfig" shows only the "lo" interface. Going to "System Settings" and selecting "Network Settings" provides a "rotating dumbell" icon for a very long time, and after around five minutes provideds a Network Connections window that shows no "Wired" connections. I am unable to edit the "Wired" connections since "Add", "Edit" and "Delete" are all grayed out. When I open the NetworkManager task bar icon, I see no interfaces and it claims that "Network Manager is not running. Please start it." Also, within the the same opened NetworkManager task bar icon, there is a small checkbox for "Enable networking" than is blank -- it makes no difference if I check this checkbox or not.

2. After login, the Sabayon splash screen shows progress all the way to completion (from the hard drive image to the monitor image), but then the display does not progress to the usual desktop appearance until many minutes have passed. The monitor then goes to black, and then the correct desktop appearance is provided. During all this time I have opened a "tty" by performing "Ctrl-Alt-F2". On the tty I can see that kwin and X are running. Performing "top" on both systems doesn't show a significant difference, but I'm not certain that I would see a subtle difference with this method if there was one.

Can someone give me an idea on where to start looking in order to correct these issues?

Thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by VolvoBirkenstock on Sun Mar 09, 2014 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Re: Post-Weekly-Update Problems

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:36

Some additional information. I have just looked at /var/log/messages. I found the following, which I have manually entered here:
Code: Select all
Mar  8 21:58:17 localhost NetworkManager[4096]: <error> [1394337497.730271] [main.c:547] main(): failed to initialize settings storage: Could not load plugin 'ifnet': /usr/lib64/NetworkManager/libnm-settings-plugin-ifnet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Mar  8 21:58:17 localhost NetworkManager[4096]: <info> exiting (error)

There are later log entries involving NetworkManager, but they all end in error/failure.

How do I fix this?

Thank you very much in advance.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:06

It may be worth running a live disc to see if the connection works with that. That will rule out any hardware failure. Sorry if this is obvious but did you run equo conf update after the last updates?

Edit: You may find an answer here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=31486
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby lem0na » Sun Mar 09, 2014 13:32

Hi,

I just applied weekly updates and hit same problem. libnm-settings-plugin-ifnet.so was missing on the system. My version of Networkmanager is 0.9.8.8. Fortunately I have another laptop with Sabayon that was not updated for a long time and was able to get the library from there and to have workimg network.
When I looked in the content of downloaded package this library is missing. Probably some packing error that causes this failure.

Hope this will help you to fix your system and that the package will be fixed.

best regards,
lem0na
Baby Hen

Postby Honeyman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 17:12

I can confirm the update issue. Neither do I have any network connections after the update today. I'm writing this from a live system, so hardware problems can be ruled out. :?
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Postby Honeyman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 17:48

Fortunately, I found a solution in the bug tracker (https://bugs.sabayon.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4621)
:D :D :D :D :D :D

As the bug poster noted the following solution fixes the problem after a reboot (at least it did it for me, too):

# sed -i 's/ifnet,//g' /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

Would be nice to hear, whether that solves the issue for other people also.
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Mar 09, 2014 23:28

Hello to All and a Most Emphatic THANK YOU!!!

This message is being posted from the computer that was having the issue described in this thread. I am not using a live DVD.

The workaround of
# sed -i 's/ifnet,//g' /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
does repair the issue, but for some reason unknown to me it required multiple reboots subsequent to the modification. As such, I am marking this issue as solved. For those not in the know about "sed", the above command removes the entry for "ifnet" from the NetworkManager.conf configuration file, so NetworkManager does not try looking for a library/file that it no longer needs. You could also accomplish this with a manual edit, but cutting/pasting/executing the instruction is likely a little safer.

On a very strange note, I want to relate what I did as part of my troubleshooting, since it may provide a hint of problems to come.

I used my other working computer to download the most recent Sabayon_Linux_14.01_amd64_KDE.iso image and burned it to DVD after verifying md5sum. I also verified the DVD to have an identical image to the correct ISO image. I then booted off that DVD. While the DVD provided the usual graphics one sees prior to choosing to either install or run the live DVD, once I selected to run the live DVD, it did not provide me with an X display. I was able to view the system through the "fall back" ttys. I then shutdown the system, removed the 14.01 DVD and loaded a Sabayon_Linux_10_amd64_K.iso image that was burned to DVD a long time ago. I booted off of that DVD and ran off the live DVD. I was provided with the full X capability. My graphics card is a Radeon 7700-series.

I keep up with weekly updates religiously. Frankly, I haven't freshly installed Sabayon to this system since either Sabayon 10 or 11 (or whenever Sabayon defaulted to the 3.8.0 kernel). I have not updated the kernel since 3.10.0, so if that is the cause of problem(s), then please let me know and also tell me where I might find written information describing the potential pitfalls of not upgrading from one kernel to the next. (Upgrading a kernel takes more time than I usually have, since I am running a few proprietary drivers.)

On a very positive note, it wasn't too long ago that I could not get the WLAN on my ASUS laptop working under Sabayon, but it now works through the miracle of weekly updates. A HUGE THANK YOU to the team!!! You guys rock! :D :D :D

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Re: Post-Weekly-Update Problems [Solved]

Postby Cb7 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 16:04

Good to hear that it works.

If someone could, please confirm bug report (AFAIK you can login in bugzilla with forum credentials).

Also, system restart is not required. I though that it was kinda obvious that after changing config you have to restart/reload service, so I didn't include that step in bug report..
systemctl restart NetworkManager
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area