NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Mister Paytwick
Baby Hen

NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA

Post by Mister Paytwick » Mon Feb 17, 2014 17:51

Hi,

I installed a Sabayona few weeks ago. Now it's broken.
Long story short (because it's one hell of a story that make me want to facestamp Microsoft's, Nvidia's and Asus' engineers):
On boot after the Sabayon loading screen, right after the messages:

Code: Select all

This is sabayon.local.unknow_domain (Linux x86_64 3.13.0-sabayon) 17:34:23

sabayon login [    27.650167] NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
[    27.650167] NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
[    27.650167] NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
[    27.650167] NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
[    27.650167] NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.

then it's stop. Since it seem it broke many things (GTK+, and so GIMP and Gnome too...), I'd like to get to know better that error and how to fix it. To be honest I did enjoyed my Sabayon but I didn't found that many explaination...

Right now, I reinstalling Sabayon. Thanks guys if you can help (or translate the italian), only point I'd like you to do is to explain me the problem and it's fix.