KDE not recognizing any network cards?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

KDE not recognizing any network cards?

Postby mdf2t » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:34

I'm trying to install sabayon kde onto a brand new machine. It is the lenovo y410p. i have both a wired ethernet connection as well as an intel wireless n 7260 wireless adapter. apparently sabayon is not finding either. When i go to network connection the wired and wireless tabs are faded out and the only tab i can choose is vpn. What do i need to do in order to establish connections? I've never had any trouble like this in the past, typically upon boot they are found immediately. this is all running from a live usb, i'm hesitant to install without network connections. Thank you in advance for any guidance.
mdf2t
Baby Hen

Re: KDE not recognizing any network cards?

Postby mdf2t » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:41

in the konsole terminal if i put in, # lspci It shows the controllers. they are listed both at the bottom. They look like this:

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 08b2 (rev 73)

I'm not sure if this helps or not.
mdf2t
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:09

I don't know, but my guess would be that the required modules are not loaded or not installed. What is the output of the command lsmod run as root user?

DuckDuckGo is telling me that the Atheros QCA8171 requires the Atheros alx module. Looking at the kernel config for the SL 3.12 kernel I see it has CONFIG_ALX=m, so the module should have been built. If the alx module is not loaded, try loading it (modprobe alx).

The Intel 7260 WiFi controller uses the Linux iwlwifi driver, which I would have expected to be loaded. See what the lsmod command shows. Is the firmware installed? I.e. is the package linux-firmware installed? If not, install it using the command equo install linux-firmware to see if that helps. You might have to unload and reload the module (rmmod iwlwifi && modprobe iwlwifi) but first try without doing that.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Feb 15, 2014 0:14

Could you execute as root in a console the command
Code: Select all
ifconfig -a
pls, in order to show, which hardware is recognized?
Then it should be possible to find the matching driver(s).

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area