How to Install Sabayon 14.1 on Llano APU [Solved (in a way)]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How to Install Sabayon 14.1 on Llano APU [Solved (in a way)]

Postby down8ve » Sun Feb 09, 2014 20:09

**I used these instructions to get things working, but on my next post you will discover that a new kernel was automatically installed with an update, breaking the system.**

I was very frustrated that I could not get my DVD or USB ISO of Sabayon 14.1 to boot up, much less install, on my AMD A8-3870 APU system. Read this completely before you start.

For those keeping score at home, that's a "Llano" series processor of the "BeaverCreek" line, HD 6550D graphics.

You will find elsewhere that when booting the live media you need to press "F5" and type in "ro nomodset" into the command line , should read
Code: Select all
initrd=/boot/sabayon.igz aufs cdroot splash ro nomodset vga=791

Press enter and wait for the live environment to boot up. Install as usual.

After your new system boots you may have to do a few things to avoid boo-boos. Here's what I did:
Start Ringo, click the settings icon and "Update Repositories."
Next close Ringo and follow the "Fresh Install- What to Do" instructions on the Wiki:
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy#Fresh_Install_-_What_to_do.3F
Follow all the instructions on optimizing the mirrors and updating using Equo. There's a million updates, so be parient. Your last commands are equo deptestand equo libtest. Might be a good idea to print both this and the next section ("The Kernel") of the Wiki if you have no other way to see it other than this computer.

Now restart your system. NOTE: I had to do a hard reboot of my system at this point. Nothing from the command line or desktop would work. Hope yours does better.

IF YOU GET A BLANK SCREEN it's because there is an amd driver and kernel mismatch. Remember that page on the Wiki? Now go to the next section (in print on your laptop or phone, I assume) titled "The Kernel."

You might get to know these instructions very well in the future... this is the notorious part of using Sabayon on certain systems. Remember that first part, where is says that running a command like "uname -r" only shows the base notation of the kernel, not the revision! So my 3.12.8 kernel shows as 3.12.0 instead. Don't freak out. Running
# equo query installed "linux-sabayon"
tells the truth. Make a note of that kernel number!

Here's the tricky part. Boot into recovery mode, second option on boot screen then select the recovery option next. Here you will drop to the console. Log in, then "su" and your root password to get the red prompt (EDIT_ I think it offers "continue" or enter root password, can't remember). You're going to use the kernel-switcher commands (little further down that Wiki page) to straighten things out.

Since I learned my kernel was 3.12.8, I put in this command:
kernel-switcher switch linux-sabayon-3.12.8

Follow the rest of the instructions there, especially selecting the correct AMD option at the "eselect opengl list" command and the correct kernel at "eselect kernel list." Again, this part ends with equo deptest and equo libtest. They are your best buds.

Hope this helps! My system runs really, really well now.
Last edited by down8ve on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:28, edited 3 times in total.
down8ve
Simple Hen

Re: How to Install Sabayon 14.1 on AMD Llano APU- NOPE

Postby down8ve » Tue Feb 11, 2014 13:09

Wow, I went 24 hours before the system pulled in another kernel, breaking the video driver once more.

Boot this morning took me to the "root password for maintenance" console deal. Using the kernel-switcher instructions I queried Equo about the installed kernel:
equo query installed "linux-sabayon"

I see it is now 3.12.9. Then I issued the command:
kernel-switcher switch linux-sabayon-3.12.9

Since I needed to reboot when it was done I typed
systemctl reboot

But now, no dice. Keeps dropping into maintenance mode.

So I queried equo about available ati-drivers, found the right version. But equo refused to install it, spit up errors.

It's been a lot of work to get this far, but I'm done. As much as I'd like to use Sabayon, I'm pressing the reset button and having to go elsewhere.
down8ve
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area