14.01 boot, passphrase entry problem for encrypted partition

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

14.01 boot, passphrase entry problem for encrypted partition

Postby kwacorn » Mon Feb 03, 2014 14:00

I have freshly installed Sabayon 14.01 KDE version. The HDD has two partitions, a small normal (unencrypted) partion /dev/sda1 for /boot and an encrypted partition /dev/sda2 (cryptsetup luksFormat) for everything else. The installation proceeded without problem. However when trying to boot the system I am unable to enter the encryption password, booting in recovery mode reveals as expected:
Code: Select all
Encryption password (/dev/sda2):  :**********
where ********** represents the password I entered.
However on pressing <Enter> the following message appears:
Code: Select all
Enter passphrase for /dev/sda2:
No key available with this passphrase.
I can enter only two characters before I am presented with the error message, whether I enter the correct characters for my passphrase or not, and then get the passphase request again and so on, hence the system cannot continue the boot process and the system remains unusable.

I have verified the passphrase is correct by booting the live media and successfully accessing the encrypted partition that way.

Your advice on how to proceed or fix the problem so I can have a bootable usable system would be appreciated.
kwacorn
Young Hen

Re: 14.01 boot, passphrase entry problem for encrypted parti

Postby kwacorn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:33

Update: In an attempt to get around the passphrase entry problem I have installed Sabayon 14.02 KDE monthly edition. Unfortunately that has exactly the same problem as above.

I am not sure of what my next course of action should be, but I am considering blanking the disk (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda) and doing a completely fresh install, setting up a new encrypted partition in the process, although this does seem an extreme way to attempt to fix the problem?
kwacorn
Young Hen

Postby kwacorn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 23:11

A further attempt at an installation to a system with an encrypted partition has also failed to produce a bootable system. This time all partitions were deleted prior to the installation then recreated during the install.

I am led to suspect that Sabayon 14.01 and 14.02 may have some bug in the boot system they install preventing the recognition of passphrases for encrypted partitions. However, as no one else has reported having such a problem then either I am the only one who has the problem or nobody else installs to encrypted partitions? If anyone can offer any advice or suggestions on this problem I'd be grateful.

As a temporary workaround I have installed 14.02 to non-encrypted partitions, but that means my data is not secure and I am reluctant to use the laptop computer in public.
kwacorn
Young Hen

Postby Cb7 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 13:05

I think that you've encountered Bug #4588.

If that's the case, would you mind providing more info in bug report, and/or linking in it to this thread?
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby kwacorn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 13:45

Thank you for that advice, perhaps I am not the only one to encounter this problem after all. I have added some brief details to the bug report and linked to this forum topic.
kwacorn
Young Hen

Postby Honeyman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:02

Hi,
I also encountered manifold problems with an encrypted partition, basically the same partitioning: unencrypted partition for /boot with an encrypted LVM. The issue was the keyboard layout luks "worked" with during the install process and then which layout was used when booting the fresh install. From painful experience I can say that:
1. luks does not use the keyboard layout of the installer, regardless of the layout chosen, I read that by default it assumes US English
2. This cannot be totally true as I "transscribed" my German passphrase to the corresponding US English keys and I could still not boot my system

It took me several attempts until I had a passphrase that worked in the installer and subsequently during the boot process. I am really hard-pressed to see any logic here.

You might want to try a "simple" passphrase that should be recognized no matter which keyboard layout is assumed by the installer and luks -- then gradually proceed to a more complex and saver one. I agree that is really a pain, but eventually it worked for me.
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area