TeamViewer 9 in Sabayon repositories

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

TeamViewer 9 in Sabayon repositories

Postby doom_laur » Wed Jan 29, 2014 14:42

Hello! I'm pretty new to Sabayon, so I didn't know where to post :) I was wondering, when will TeamViewer 9 be available in the Sabayon repositories? I'm using the daily repository right now, but TeamViewer 9 is not available, even though it was released a couple of months ago.

Since some time I managed to make TeamViewer 9 work by downloading the .tar.gz version, but I can't install it, because it has no option. So I can only run it like this, and even though I made it run at startup, it's more convenient to install it directly from the Sabayon repositories.

Thank you :)
doom_laur
Baby Hen

Re: TeamViewer 9 in Sabayon repositories

Postby Provia » Wed Jan 29, 2014 17:22

Hi doom_laur and welcome to Sabayon!
You can request a version bump of a specific package on Sabayon bugzilla. But i think you will have to wait.
The latest Gentoo ebuild still the v.8 as you can see: http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-misc/teamviewer.
Gentoo is quite slow in providing updated packages compared with Arch. (but this is not necessarily a bad thing :D)
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby doom_laur » Wed Jan 29, 2014 19:35

Hello Provia and thank you! :)

I already checked the Gentoo packages, thinking that the problem is there, and that's why I wasn't sure where I should do this request.

I'm not exactly new to Linux, but unfortunately the fact that I'm a PC gamer didn't let me switch to Linux, something that I wanted to do years ago (I know about Wine and such). So don't laugh if I ask stupid questions, I only had contact with Linux from time to time. So Sabayon takes the packages from Gentoo and compiles them and provides them to the community, am I right? Just wondering, for my knowledge, what is the distribution that gets updated the fastest of all the distros? Anyway, from all the distributions I used over the time, Sabayon is the one that fits me the best :)
doom_laur
Baby Hen

Postby Provia » Wed Jan 29, 2014 21:31

1)Your question was not stupid :D
2)Yes, you can consider Sabayon a distro based on a precompiled version of the Gentoo testing branch.
3)Try to install steam(for Linux) for games...soon with the final release of steam OS we will see many new Linux ports.
4)I think that the fastest rolling release is Arch but it is (IMHO) less stable and provides less official packages (You will probably have to use the AUR repository wich contains non-compiled software provided by community, wich is not so reliable)
I have tried many distros but Sabayon is one of the best. Its main problem is that it is not know or popular as ubuntu or mint.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby doom_laur » Wed Jan 29, 2014 21:51

Yes, I'm using Steam for Linux and it works great :) It's such a shame that Valve supports it only for Ubuntu... Hopefully that will change in the future. I'm positively surprised that some really good games work under Linux. I can remember years ago when I was hearing rumors about Steam for Linux, and trying to make Doom 3 work on Linux (which I did, it was pretty easy). But at that time there weren't any big new games available for Linux.

To be honest, with Sabayon I feel like at home. Considering it's so bleeding edge, it's surprisingly stable for me. Apart from not being able to use KMail (some database error from Akonadi), my system is perfectly stable, everything up-to-date (daily repository) and kernel 3.13.

Edit: I just wanted to mention, you can connect with a higher version of TeamViewer to an older one, but not with an older one to a newer one. That's why it's VERY important for me to get TeamViewer 9. At least I got it working for now.

Edit 2: I just started KMail and for the first time, it works :D So the last bug has been solved!
doom_laur
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area