A few newbie questions on Sabayon.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

A few newbie questions on Sabayon.

Postby pmu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 19:01

Hi,

I want to move to a rolling release and sabayon seems quite interesting. I have used Fedora/Ubuntu/CentOS earlier, but the issue is either the release cycles are too often, or the system is designed with too much of handholding or the packages are really old even when taken from third party repos.

Looking for a sweet spot where I get a linux version that will have a nice combination of new yet stable packages (Bleeding edge not needed), OS upgrades that are comparatively painless, and the system neither assumes I am dumb or a Linux superstar.

I have a Thinkpad T430 with 16 GB of RAM and due to certain requirements, have to use Windows 7 (Sad but true).

Kindly let me know if:

1) Sabayon can dual boot with Windows 7? I have UEFI (No Secure Boot, I was lucky to buy my T430 before the Win 8 travesty was forced upon mankind).

2) There are any heating issues. My laptop seems to stay between 38C (very low usage) to 55C (very high usage). I love my T430 and would hate to see it getting slowly but surely fried.

3) Battery Usage - I have got the best battery results with Ubuntu 12.04 - usage is same as Windows 7 - which is about 4 hours or so. Few other distributions cut down the battery life to half.

4) My sincere apologies for this question, but is the rolling release reliable? I did a dist upgrade on a earlier linux OS and everything broke. Hoping that this can be avoided in Sabayon.

5) lastly, any thinkpad user here (fellow T430 user will be even better), who is running Sabayon currently on his laptop? I will be thankful if he could share the experience.
pmu
Baby Hen

Re: A few newbie questions on Sabayon.

Postby rekinchin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 19:36

Can only answer a few of the questions
1) I have it duel booted with windows 7 so I know that works
2) As long as you get the GPU driver working correctly then there shouldn't be any overheating
3) Don't know as my battery is broken
4) not found any problems once I got it all working been using it for several months do have an annoying failing to boot lock-ups but a reboot or 2 and its reliable
rekinchin
Young Hen

Postby Provia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 20:21

1)As rekinchin has said, no problem.
2)What GPU do you have?
3)You have to test it, but my netbook has a great battery usage with Sabayon x64 XFCE
4)You can enable the weekly repo wich is very stable. I'm using the daily repo with the unstable(limbo)overlay and i haven't had any problem of stability.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:48

1) I have UEFI, but I disabled it for Dual Boot with Windows 7 and Sabayon. You don't need UEFI and disabling simplifies operating with Sabayon.

2) My heating is about 48 centigrades in normal mode (Intel Core I5 3210M) with disabled NVidia (I only use built in Intel

3) My battery usage is about 3 and a half hours (4400mA), browsing, movies, but I have an SSD harddisk.

4) This is hard to answer. My experiences are so, so. I have read about problems after upgrade here in this forum.
For me, I want to use bluetooth, but bluetooth support (bluez4) has been completely changed to bluez5 when using KDE 4.11.3 and up. It doesn' work anymore :(. For Gnome I don't know. Principally, problems (bugs) may appear by upgrading, but if you can help yourself, then most of those problems are fixed by the members here in forum, so you can do also.

5) Try to start a Sabayon Daily Build Live system. If your preferred iso (to be found on Sabayon Download site) will boot into DE, then test it. Test WLan, some programs and so on. You may also activate plasmoids for displaying hardware temperature in KDE. In other DEs you may install 'gkrellm' to display. I'm using a Daily Build with weekly repo.
Anyway, there's some things to do to customize your personal Sabayon Linux.

I wish you really good luck. I am content with my Sabayon KDE (14.01).

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby pmu » Mon Jan 06, 2014 18:42

Hi All,

Thank you for replying.

I do not have any graphics card on my thinkpad T430. Just the stock Integrated Intel 4000 Graphics card. No Nvidia, No ATI.

I will be thankful if someone could tell me what Perl/Python/Bash versions does Sabayon ship with? Given that all the linux variants have some similarities, the linux platform used to learn the scripting languages wont matter much, still, how good is Sabayon for these tasks (meaning learning scripting languages) ?

I also plan to view a lot of youtube videos (mostly related to perl/python/bash scripting related), and hence would prefer a system that works out of box for general usage such as flash/VLC pre installed.

On a few linux flavours, gcc/make etc are not pre installed. Does Sabayon come with these pre installed?

Kindly let me know.
pmu
Baby Hen

Postby Provia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 19:02

I can't answer to the question related to scripting as i'm not an expert but i can tell you that:
1) Sabayon works great with youtube videos out of the box
2) You can easily install all the compile tools
3) You can browse the Sabayon repo on this page https://packages.sabayon.org/ to see the versions of packages available at moment.

PS: Intel graphic cards generally works great out of the box. They don't require any proprietary driver because Intel release the specific driver as open source. On my girlfriend's laptop (with an Intel HD 4000) Sabayon runs very well.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Jan 07, 2014 0:17

Code: Select all
[email protected] ~ $ bash --version                   
GNU bash, version 4.2.45(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)                               
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.                   
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>                                                   

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.                 
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.     
[email protected] ~ $ perl --version

This is perl 5, version 16, subversion 3 (v5.16.3) built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi
(with 22 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

Copyright 1987-2012, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

[email protected] ~ $ python --version
Python 2.7.5

However, you do have some options for multiples to be installed of python at least:

Code: Select all
[email protected] ~ $ eselect python list     
Available Python interpreters:
  [1]   python2.6 
  [2]   python2.7 *
  [3]   python3.3

So you can use python 3.3, just not as your system default because things won't run right (yet).
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area