Printer frustration

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Printer frustration

Postby Del » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55

I'm really having such a difficult time in trying to get Sabayon to recognize my printers. I'm a newbie and have no desire to learn terminal. I just want Sabayon to recognize and add my printers out of the box. From what I've seen of Sabayon so far, I really love, but this printer issue is frustrating. I've tried Mint Petra and it has no problems in making those connections. But, I'm looking for a rolling release distro.

I loaded Sabayon 14 on a Lenovo M91 desktop. I have a Brother HL5450 and Canon MX870 printers. I found the +Printer option and when I click it, it does bring up the printers which are connected directly to my computer. However, when I hit the 'Add' button, it comes back that it cannot add them.

Is there a simple way to fix this? Thanks!
Del
Baby Hen

Re: Printer frustration

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:46

Many Brother printers are not easy to get working in Gentoo and Sabayon Linux (see, e.g. Re: Can I install .rpm or .deb drivers on Sabayon?). There are third-party Gutenprint drivers for some Brother printers, but not the model you have. However, there is a Gutenprint driver for the Canon Pixma MX870 (see Gutenprint Supported Printers), so you can get that printer working. Install the gutenprint package from the Entropy repository if you have not done so already.

As with many distributions, the best way to manage printers is to use the CUPS browser interface. Launch a Web browser and enter http://localhost:631/ into the Address bar in order to use the CUPS manager. Use CUPS to install the printer.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area