Need help with SL 14.01 KDE Live DVD

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Need help with SL 14.01 KDE Live DVD

Postby k357k9 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 13:53

When I boot of the DVD, it comes up in 1280x1024 resolution and I want to change this to something much bigger.

My graphics card is a nVidia GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a.

Can I fix this while running the Live DVD? Can I fix this after installing it?
Last edited by k357k9 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
k357k9
Baby Hen

Re: Need help with SL 14.01 KDE Live DVD

Postby Stupot » Mon Dec 23, 2013 18:51

It's something that can fixed after the install more easily than with the LiveDVD. It's definitely fixable.

First thing to check for is to make sure you are running the proprietary nVidia drivers.

Code: Select all
# eselect opengl list

If that doesn't say nvidia, then you'll need to install the drivers.
# equo install nvidia-drivers

Then go back and make sure nvidia is selected:

# eselect opengl set nvidia

reboot. There is a nvidia settings GUI that will let you change the resolution easily if it isn't working correctly at that point.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby k357k9 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 20:36

Thanks Stupot.

From the looks of your answer, the problems is with the non-nVidia driver that comes on the DVD. This has not been a problem with any distro until now. What is new about this or is my card just getting old?

Is there was a way around the reboot in order to use the DVD?
k357k9
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Thu Dec 26, 2013 18:13

You won't want to use the non-nVidia driver, most likely. The performance of the open source nvidia driver is pretty bad. You might want to use the older nVidia drivers though, I'm not really sure.

How do you know the problem is with the "non-nVidia driver" ? Sabayon has the proprietary drivers on the DVD and tends to use them, which is different from a lot of other distros.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby k357k9 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 23:56

Using the Live DVD, the Xfce version did the same thing. It must not be KDE.

Here is what I did in the terminal with the DVD.

sabayonuser@localhost ~ $ eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:   [1]   ati   [2]   nvidia   [3]   xorg-x11 * sabayonuser@localhost ~ $ 2 bash: 2: command not found
sabayonuser@localhost ~ $ equo install nvidia-drivers ╠
superuser access required
sabayonuser@localhost ~ $ sudo equo install nvidia-drivers╠  ╠
Entropy is running off a Live System ╠ Performance and stability could get severely compromised ╠  ╠ Repository sabayon-weekly hasn't been downloaded yet. ╠ Repository sabayon-weekly is not available. Cannot validate ╠ RepositoryError() ╠ !!! Please update your repositories now in order to remove this message! ╠  !!! No match for x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers in repositories. ╠ No packages found.
sabayonuser@localhost ~ $ eselect opengl set nvidia
Switching to nvidia OpenGL interface...rm: cannot remove ‘/etc/env.d/03opengl’: Permission denied !!! Error: Failed to remove /etc/env.d/03opengl exiting
sabayonuser@localhost ~ $                                                                                                                                                                                 

Does this tell you anything?
Last edited by k357k9 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:53, edited 1 time in total.
k357k9
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 0:04

Yes.

FYI, you can use the Code formatting to make things look prettier.

sabayonuser@localhost ~ $ eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
[1] ati
[2] nvidia
[3] xorg-x11 *

You are using the open source drivers.

You should be able to switch to the proprietary ones after booting up by (as root, earlier you tried to as a regular user; note the # as opposed to $)

# eselect opengl set nvidia

then restarting xorg server.

There might be a boot code you can use to force it to use the nvidia drivers as well.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby k357k9 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 13:46

It looks like it really wants to be installed and updated on a HD before this is done.

sabayonuser@localhost ~ $ su localhost sabayonuser # eselect opengl list Available OpenGL implementations:   [1]   ati   [2]   nvidia   [3]   xorg-x11 * localhost sabayonuser # equo install nvidia-drivers ╠  ╠ Entropy is running off a Live System ╠ Performance and stability could get severely compromised ╠  ╠ Repository sabayon-weekly hasn't been downloaded yet. ╠ Repository sabayon-weekly is not available. Cannot validate ╠ RepositoryError() ╠ !!! Please update your repositories now in order to remove this message! ╠  !!! No match for x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers in repositories. ╠ No packages found. localhost sabayonuser #                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Then I used Rigo to update and install nVidia 304.116.

sabayonuser@localhost ~ $ su localhost sabayonuser # eselect opengl list Available OpenGL implementations:   [1]   ati   [2]   nvidia   [3]   xorg-x11 * localhost sabayonuser # eselect opengl set nvidia Switching to nvidia OpenGL interface... done localhost sabayonuser # eselect opengl list Available OpenGL implementations:   [1]   ati   [2]   nvidia *   [3]   xorg-x11 localhost sabayonuser #                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

But, it still didn't work. Again, maybe it just has to be on the HD.
k357k9
Baby Hen

Postby Provia » Fri Dec 27, 2013 14:41

Switch to another opengl implementation needs a reboot.
So when you have installed your system install the correct nvidia driver(matching with your kernel), wich is 304 for your card(http://www.geforce.com/drivers <--check here). Maybe you have to remove the new one (version 331)
then
sudo nvidia-xconfig

and
sudo eselect opengl list set nvidia

and then reboot your pc.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby k357k9 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 15:37

Thanks Provia.

I am trying to do this off the Live DVD and it looks like that is not going to work. Is the basic problem that my card is not being detected or that it is too old for the current driver?
k357k9
Baby Hen

Postby Provia » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:09

First you have to install the system in order to complete the steps that i've posted. In my opinion your card is not working (maybe) because the liveDVD is using the 331 version of the drivers. On the nvidia website they recommend the 304 version probably because your card is going to be an "old-supported" card and will not be compatible again with latest drivers.
To check what version of the driver are you using in live session type in the rigo search field
in:installed nvidia

and see what packages are in the list
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area