Black screen after fresh install and full upgrade [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Black screen after fresh install and full upgrade [Solved]

Postby andy_o » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:36

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help me with this problem please?

I did a fresh install of 13.08 - after the installation everything is working fine.

However, after dong the full system upgrade post install, my machine just boots to a black screen...

I think this is related to video drivers. My video card is:
ATI RV610 [Radeon HD 2400 PRO]

Based on https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ATI_FAQ I believe I need to use to open source drivers, which is what I *think* are being used in the fresh install.

I presume that during the upgrade the open source drivers are upgraded to a version that is no longer compatible with my card? Does anyone know if that is the case? and if so do I need to somehow tell entropy to not upgrade my video drivers?

Many thanks!
Last edited by andy_o on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
andy_o
Baby Hen

Re: Black screen after fresh install and full upgrade

Postby Cb7 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:01

Please, be more specific. I mean, about 'black screen' part. It doesn't really tell what exactly you see. Whether it's totally black screen (you can't even see that screen is even turned on - no backlight), whether screen is on, but there's nothing beside it, whether it's possible to do something, like switching to TTY…
Have you tried different kernel?

If you want to try open source drivers, you can either try to get into TTY, or, just chroot and do stuff from there, or boot into single user mode (it's 'recovery' option in grub)…
Relevant wiki articles:
How to get back to open source drivers (possible that not everything in here has to be done)
Mounting LVM (when you've used default partitioning)
Chrooting

If you need more help than Wiki articles provide, or there's something that isn't clear in them, give output (when chrooted or in TTY) of:
Code: Select all
eselect kernel list
eselect opengl list
equo q installed -qv ati
systemctl status display-manager

You may also want to see output of Xorg logs, they're located in e.g.: /var/lib/Xorg.0.log

That's all I can think of right now, perhaps I forgot about something…
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby andy_o » Mon Dec 23, 2013 17:34

Thanks for the reply and I apologise for not being clear enough.

When I said 'black screen' what happens is the machine boots up as normal, goes past grub menu and the blue sabayon splash menu appears. After the splash menu has been there for a couple of seconds the screen goes entirely black apart from a blinking cursor in the top left corner. Nothing visible happens after that.

Since I had done nothing else except update since the fresh install I got the machine back by just doing another fresh install.

Sorry if this is a bit of a noob question.
Just wondering where I would configure entropy to update everything except video drivers during post install update to avoid the same problem again. Go assuming that not treating video drivers wouldn't cause any security risks of other conflicts?
andy_o
Baby Hen

Postby Cb7 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 18:13

Closed source drivers, as any other closed source programs can and probably/possibly will cause security concerns. It's debatable whether a newer version of them that has security fixes really helps… I mean it could close some ways of exploiting vulnerabilities, but there will be other holes anyway…

To prevent drivers from updating, in a case where you use proprietary drivers:
equo mask -a $(equo q installed -qv x11-drivers/ati)

If you would use open source drivers, regression shouldn't happen.

If you'll be brave/bored enough to update drivers, you can always unmask masked packages by using “equo unmask” command.
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Dec 23, 2013 18:58

If I had to guess, I would say you are using the proprietary drivers, not the open source drivers. I've never once had an issue with the open source drivers upgrading, but many run into exactly the issue you are describing for the closed source drivers.

This will ensure you have the open source drivers installed and configured to be used.

localhost root # equo update
localhost root # equo install x11-base/xorg-drivers
localhost root # eselect opengl set xorg-x11
localhost root # sed -i '/blacklist radeon/d' /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
localhost root # mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

Reboot/restart xorg.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby andy_o » Tue Dec 24, 2013 13:10

Thanks for the advice cb7 and stupot.

Ive been relocated to attend some celebration or other :-) but ill try out those ideas in a couple days. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
andy_o
Baby Hen

Postby Provia » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:23

andy_o wrote:Thanks for the advice cb7 and stupot.

Ive been relocated to attend some celebration or other :-) but ill try out those ideas in a couple days. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

I think that it's not necessary to remove ati proprietary drivers. It's possibile that this problem is related to the incopatibility, at the moment, between ati-drivers and kernel 3.12. So you can also try to siwtch to an older kernel. Maybe the more stable 3.10 LTS.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby Stupot » Thu Dec 26, 2013 18:18

Provia wrote:I think that it's not necessary to remove ati proprietary drivers. It's possibile that this problem is related to the incopatibility, at the moment, between ati-drivers and kernel 3.12. So you can also try to siwtch to an older kernel. Maybe the more stable 3.10 LTS.

Necessary to remove them, probably not. But an AMD card that old will work better with the open source driver. AMD even discontinued support for that video card when releasing Catalyst beta drivers (which tends to be what everybody uses). With the latest dpm changes that seem to be fairly solid with the AMD open source drivers, there's really no reason to not use them for any AMD Radeon < 7000 in my opinion.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby andy_o » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:23

I managed to fix my problem. Typically the problem was self inflicted I think :)

After verifying that I was using the open source drivers with
lspci
I did a full update.
equo install sys-apps /entropy rigo equo reload
equo conf update
equo update
equo upgrade --ask
equo conf update
equo deptest
equo libtest

After running the second
equo conf update
i.e. after the upgrade. I paid careful attention and noticed that one of the configuration updates was attempting to comment out a line selecting the open source video drivers, so I decided not to allow this configuration update. *Sorry* I forgot to write down which file this was... In my previous attempt I mindlessly chose the new configuration files thinking I had made no changes so new was good.

After reboot my system is now fully upgraded and running smoothly.

Moral of the story - always pay attention and read the equo messages (even when there is a lot).

Thank you to everyone who offered advice here.
andy_o
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area