Sabayon will not install

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon will not install

Postby den » Sun Dec 22, 2013 0:56

I broke my Sabayon installation during an update and thought I would fix the problem by re-installing. However, neither Sabayon 13.8 nor 14.1 KDE will start. Both get to the login and say automatic login and then I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor. This happens no matter what mode I choose, including safe and console modes. An old Sabayon 8 starts just fine. I have a Dell XPS 17 L702X with the latest bios A19. I assume there is a hardware compatibility problem with these latest versions of Sabayon. Has anyone experienced the same problem with the Dell XPS 17 and can anyone offer some guidance for a fix, please? Would it be possible to install Sabayon 8 and update from there? Thanks.
Edit. I tried Mageia 3 and it starts just fine, too.
Edit 2. 14.1 runs fine on a Dell Latitude.
Could it be faulty Nvidia drivers?
den
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon will not install

Postby batvink » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:01

den wrote:Could it be faulty Nvidia drivers?

Yes, that could be.
Please check your nvidia card on their website, whether it's a legasy card or not.
Sabayon intends to install latest driver which in case of a legasy card doesn't support.
Find out the latest drivers your card will support,
uninstall nvidia, and install the right driver, matching your kernel.
You can mask all future nvidia drivers to prevent upgrading again...
It's all documented in our Wiki.
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby den » Mon Dec 23, 2013 0:34

Thank you for your response, but I am at a loss as to how to follow your suggestions. I am trying to install from a downloaded iso image which supposedly contains the driver for my nvidia card, which is the GeForce 555M, a current card using the 331.82 driver for windows and the 331.20 driver for linux. The driver in the iso will not allow me to get beyond auto login, no matter what mode I select - run, install, console etc. No screens are found. How do I correct defects in the nvidia driver provided in an iso image? I believe my experience shows there is a fault in the nvidia driver for the GeForce card in versions 12, 13 and 14 of Sabayon. Other linux distributions do not exhibit this fault. I know the nvidia driver in the iso works with a Dell Latitude with a quadro nvs 135M card. Has anyone with an nvidia GeForce card managed to get the latest Sabayon iso to run? Why is the ability to install Sabayon dependent on being able to run the latest driver anyway, rather than having a generic fallback? I believe the Sabayon distribution needs a fix for the nvidia driver which may be locking out those with GeForce nvidia cards. Sorry for my frustration.
den
Baby Hen

Postby Provia » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:26

I've already heard some other problems like this. Maybe you can file a bug on Sabayon bugzilla.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby Cb7 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:29

By default Sabayon ISO tries to use/load proprietary drivers. If that doesn't want to work, you always can run it with 'nomodeset' parameter. Press F5 when selecting options.
Besides that, have you tried switching to TTY (CTRL + SHIFT + F1-6)?
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby den » Mon Dec 23, 2013 14:01

Thanks, Cb7, but none of your suggestions work, sad to say. There is no way past the blank screen with blinking cursor. It is doubly frustrating because for a long time there was no linux nvidia driver for this card and owners had to make do with the integral Intel i915 HD graphics. One would have hoped the installation media would fall back to the Intel option, which is essentially plug and play, if nvidia doesn't work, or even just use it straight up for the installation, but that doesn't happen. Maybe I could try editing the files from the login prompt to run the i915 driver, but that is hardly an out-of-the-box installation. I'll think about filing a bug, too.
den
Baby Hen

Postby den » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:54

Calculate Linux has no issues with the video card and the live DVD looks good. I think I'll forgo trying to resolve the problem with Sabayon and switch to Calculate. Thanks for all the help offered.
den
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area