Edimax 8192cu driver question

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Edimax 8192cu driver question

Postby Knute » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:53

As I am new to Sabayon, but have used other distros for the last 15 years, I have a grasp on what I need to do to install my wireless dongle. I have the drivers from realtek (saved those in my home directory), and I know how to compile them.

However, in looking in /usr/src/linux, I was quite surprised at how :shock: ... empty ... :shock: it was.

I have not been able to update yet, as I have no network. I can download the files and copy them over, that's not a problem. So I see that I have several options, just don't have the experience with this distro to know which would work the best.

1) download the kernel sources and then compile the drivers from realtek (not sure if I would have to configure it or not though, which is part of why I'm asking)
2) install ndiswrapper (I have the drivers for that as well)
3) and the long shot, that there's some precompiled package out there specifically built for this edimax (8192cu) nightmare. :lol:

Oh, and I wasn't sure whether to put this in Networking and Wireless, or here in Newbies area. I chose this, because it's more of a need for advice from people more familiar with this distro than me, rather than an "it's acting wierd" question. 8)

Thanks in advance,
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area