Livecd won't boot

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Livecd won't boot

Postby francesco » Sun Dec 01, 2013 22:55

Hello! I have used Linux quite some time, and now I am trying to experience Sabayon. However, I can't seem to make it work. My PC is a Toshiba Satellite L50-A-1D6, with i7-4700MQ (Haswell) processor and Windows 8.1 preinstalled. I haven't installed anything else yet.

I select boot from CD/DVD, and I see the GRUB menu. However, as soon as I try to boot, I see
Code: Select all
Language: en_us
Keyboard: us
Please wait...
_

...and I wait, and wait, and wait, and nothing happens. :(

This happens exactly identical whatever option I choose: wether it is live, install, command line, disk check or even debug mode. I have also tried various combinations of "advanced options", but with no luck whatsoever: GRUB always seems to fail in loading the OS. I have also tried burning the disk again, one in Windows and one in LInux, but again it made no difference.

Any pointer on how to figure out what's wrong?

Thanks!
francesco
Baby Hen

Re: Livecd won't boot

Postby Knute » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:37

I just got thru with messing with that.

One of the advanced options is quiet. What this option does is make systemd not report all the details. If you remove that option you can then see what's going on.

HTH
Knute
Knute
Baby Hen

Postby Cb7 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 14:24

Which version of livcd with which DE? any additional info?
Try newer/older Livecds.
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby francesco » Tue Dec 03, 2013 22:08

It's the latest version, with GNOME. Could older versions be better, even though the computer is very new?

I'll try eliminating the "quiet" part, although my guess is that it doesn't even start. Well, I'll see.
francesco
Baby Hen

Postby Cb7 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 23:13

And by 'latest' which latest do you mean?
There are 'latest' stable 13.08 version, there are 'latest' monthly 13.12 version, there are 'latest' daily builds. So which one of them?

If it's latest monthly 13.12 or daily, they won't work with their present kernel sabayon-linux-3.12.1 .

francesco wrote:Could older versions be better, even though the computer is very new?

“Newness” of a computer and it's hardware doesn't really mean much when trying to pick ISO that works… that is unless you have hardware that really needs bleeding edge, and I doubt that it is so in this case.
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area