Sabayon 13.08 amd64 GNOME not booting in UEFI

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 13.08 amd64 GNOME not booting in UEFI

Postby cyclops_812 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:36

Hey people,

I downloaded a live ISO of Sabayon 13.08 amd64 GNOME. I tried booting it using a USB in my laptop which is a Sony Vaio E series (Core i5, 4GB RAM) which came preinstalled with Windows 8. The problem is that it boots Sabayon but after letting me choose what i want to do (whether i choose "Install" or "Live CD") the screen just goes black and nothing happens.

I tried booting it in a different laptop which had Windows 7 in it and it worked.

While installing it in Sony laptop, i disabled "Secure boot" and also chose the boot as "Legacy" instead of "UEFI".

Please help!!
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 13.08 amd64 GNOME not booting in UEFI

Postby Honeyman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 23:53

Hi cyclops,

UEFI & Secure Boot are a hassle for many Linux distributions. But as you describe your situation it does not seem to be related to UEFI.

You have not installed Sabayon on your laptop so far, but you tried to boot either a Live system or "boot" right into the installer which both failed? Have I understood you correctly?
According to your post, the problem seems to be the graphics/display settings not UEFI stuff, as Sabayon boots but stops at a certain point?!

What you could try is give certain boot options which might help:
Code: Select all

acpi=off  ##Beware, only use for installation, this will turn off ACPI (CPU fan as well)!

For more information on this option see:
Framebuffer documentation at
Here you can specify the driver to use.

You will probably have to do further research, the key search term would be "Kernel mode setting"

Here you find a huge list of kernel option at boot time:

Quite a good explaination is to be found at the German Ubuntu wiki, in case you know German:

Hopefully this gives you some mileage :)
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area