System freezes after configuring xorg

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

System freezes after configuring xorg

Postby Euro3000 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:16

Hello everybody.
I am a relatively new user of Sabayon (since edition 11) and I never runed into major dificulties exept today.
Recently I noticed my screen resolution was only 1024x768 insted of 1280x800 so I went to read Sabayon's Wiki and among others the - Problematic resolution - charapter at last.
I modified the xorg.conf as described in this wiki, just adding "AutoAddDevices" under Section "ServerFlags".
Then I surfed some other Sabayon's wiki pages just reading them.
After checkig if under Display Settings now appears the possibility to chose my native 1280x800 res (and there still wasn't) I rebooted the system.
Now when the Sabaion login screen apears It freezes. No mouse, no keyboard, no reset, nothing... If I want to reboot I have to press the laptop's power buton to shut it down and than power it on once again... but still no responses when the log screen appears.
My hardware is an Intel PM945 laptop, C2D T5500 64bit with nVidia GeForce GO7600 (256MB).
Please any advices on how to figure this right or I have to reinstall it?
Last edited by Euro3000 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 19:13, edited 3 times in total.
Euro3000
Young Hen

Re: System freezes after configuring xorg

Postby Euro3000 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:14

To solve my described problem I just made a new fresh install of SL. Now it functions well, but still I have only 1024x768 res insted of 1280x800.
Is there any "How to" where we are shore that it is capable to solve this issue without freezing once again my SL?
Euro3000
Young Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 23:47

What graphics card are you using? What drivers?

If you aren't sure, what is the output of:
# eselect opengl list
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Euro3000 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 18:38

I have the nVidia GeForce GO7600 (256MB) grapfic card.
My "# eselect opengl list" output is:

Available OpenGL implementations:
[1] xorg-x11 *
[2] ati
[3] nvidia

I tried to install nvidia from Rigo but while I installed the nvidia's 304.xx drivers (as listed for my Go7600 card in one wiki and on the nvidia's webpage), Rigo wanted me to install even the nvidia's 319.xx drivers. After that the fan of my laptop remained at full for all the time.
After that I tried to configure my native resolution as I described in my first post, up here and... finished to reinstall SL complitly from the begining. Maybe, as Iam a newbie, I 've done somthin wrong, I am not shore If I've done the installation of nvidia's drivers correctly. After reinstalling SL I left evrything by default, I hope for some instructions what should I do to obtain the 1280x800 res.
Euro3000
Young Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Nov 06, 2013 20:29

Your opengl isn't set correctly. There was a long standing bug that would set it to xorg-x11 when performing upgrades that was fixed recently, but you might have been effected.

You should be able to:
Code: Select all
#eselect opengl set nvidia

and restart. There is also a nvidia-settings application you can install that makes configuring the nvidia drivers much nicer, but it might only be available for the 319 drivers unfortunately. I know the 304 version is still available in portage though.

You should make sure you are using the nvidia graphics drivers before setting the resolution, as the solution could change depending on your graphics driver.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Euro3000 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 20:51

Now this went out:

# eselect opengl set nvidia
!!! Error: The nvidia OpenGL implementation doesn't seem to provide
!!! Error: libGL.so file. This might be an effect of breakage introduced
!!! Error: by a prioprietary driver installer. Please re-merge the package
!!! Error: providing your OpenGL implementation.
!!! Error: Selected OpenGL implementation incomplete.
exiting
Euro3000
Young Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Nov 06, 2013 21:31

hmm, sounds like something is wrong with your nvidia-driver installation, probably due to rigo attempting to install a different version once upon a time.

Try installing the version you wish to run again, which should reset any symbolic links.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Cb7 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 15:50

Don't use Rigo to install proprietary blobs that need kernel modules to work. It usually does not install correct modules for your kernel.

Use Equo.

So first install what you need for nvidia card:
equo i -a nvidia-drivers-304.108#$(uname -r) nvidia-userspace-304.108

Then, as Stupot said, make sure that you have set correct driver to use:
eselect opengl list
If it's not correct one, change it.

Reboot, and see whether it's working.
You could also try older driver version, which is nvidia-drivers-173.14.38 .

BUT, there is alternative way for you if you don't want proprietary blob from nvidia and want nouveau to work.

So... you don't have to do anything with drivers at all, all that is necessary is to edit 1 file, remove or move xorg.conf and then make sure that correct settings are set. Then reboot.

First thing to do, is allowing to load nouveau driver, for that edit file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and comment 'nouveau', so it would look like:
#blacklist nouveau

Open source driver is allowed to load, now take care of unneeded by nouveau xorg.conf, it may be needed if you decide after all that you want to use proprietary blob instead:
## renaming xorg.conf, so it wouldn't be used
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

Now, all that is left is to set to use nouveau driver:
eselect opengl set xorg-x11
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby Euro3000 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 23:05

Hi!
I decided and tried the alternative way with nouveau as described up here.
After restart the resolution is still only 1024x768.
There is an Wiki How to: Changing Resolution but I am not shore if in my case it is the right thing to do now?
Or it is better to try with the nvidia's drivers with Equo?
Euro3000
Young Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Nov 08, 2013 0:13

If you are concerned with performance at all, use the nvidia proprietary drivers. noveau drivers are woefully behind in terms of performance because they don't clock properly.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area