GTK theme works only for root

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

GTK theme works only for root

Postby akernar » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:56

Hello,

I use Sabayon with 3.10 kernel + fluxbox. After installing, my gtk-based programs run with Equinox gtk-theme (so it worked...).
I have tried to change it, but I couldn't. I have installed gtk-theme-switch to switch between the themes. But I can't change the theme with that, and after install (and try) Equinox disappeared too.
As root, it works (the gtk-based apps come with the selected theme and I can switch between them with gtk-theme-switch). But as user, it doesn't work (they come with Raleigh (or something similar), or maybe without a theme?).

I've watched the .gtkrc files in my home folder and in the root folder. They are the same. I've tried again and again, in cli and with gtk-theme-switch but nothing helps. I've searched on the net, but I couldn't find the answer... Though it's just for the view, but this Raleigh-like theme is very ugly, annoying and use too much space - I hate this and I don't use windows at all :(

Can anybody help me, please? Thanks in advance.
akernar
Simple Hen

Re: GTK theme works only for root

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 20:23

Make sure you are setting both GTK 2 and 3 versions.

Try editing your ~/.gtkrc* for gtk 2 and ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini for GTK3.
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: GTK theme works only for root

Postby akernar » Sat Nov 02, 2013 16:46

Thanks!

I've tried with gtk-chtheme and lxappearance, too. This is the fresh statement (with lxappearance):

The ~/.gtkrc-2.0:
Code: Select all
# DO NOT EDIT! This file will be overwritten by LXAppearance.
# Any customization should be done in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine instead.

gtk-theme-name="Mist"
gtk-icon-theme-name="gnome"
gtk-font-name="Sans 10"
gtk-cursor-theme-name="Alkano"
gtk-cursor-theme-size=0
gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_BOTH
gtk-toolbar-icon-size=GTK_ICON_SIZE_SMALL_TOOLBAR
gtk-button-images=1
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-enable-event-sounds=0
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=0
gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1
gtk-xft-hintstyle="hintfull"
include "/home/akernar/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

In .gtkrc-2.0.mine:
gtk-menu-bar-popup-delay=0
gtk-menu-popdown-delay=0
gtk-menu-popup-delay=0
gtk-menu-images=1

The ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini:
[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=Mist
gtk-icon-theme-name=gnome
gtk-font-name=Cantarell 10
gtk-cursor-theme-name=Alkano
gtk-cursor-theme-size=0
gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_BOTH
gtk-toolbar-icon-size=GTK_ICON_SIZE_SMALL_TOOLBAR
gtk-button-images=1
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-enable-event-sounds=0
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=0
gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1
gtk-xft-hintstyle=hintfull
gtk-xft-rgba=none

In /root/.gtkrc-2.0:
# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN BY gtk-theme-switch2 DO NOT EDIT
include "/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

include "/root/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN BY gtk-theme-switch2 DO NOT EDIT

It's a bit another form, my .gtkrc* looked with gtk-theme-switch as this, but also doesn't work. As root, I see e.g. Clearlooks, but as user I can't see e.g. Mist (or any others). Chmod seems OK for the theme-files...
After Sabayon install my gtk-programs opened with Equinox, the problem was only with the scrollbar (in LO Calc), therefore I wanted to change it. But it hasn't worked since the first changing (by cli, then with the theme-changer programs). I don't understand, and can't find the solution for 3 days...

Have you any idea? Where and what should I search in my system?
(Sorry for my poor English...)

Edit: Unfortunately I haven't got any error messages in terminal or anything... The only "symptom", I can tell you:
All the theme-changer applications work with sudo and gtk-applications running with the chosen theme, as sudo.
But, as user, not. The theme-changer apps changes my .gtkrc* and the other in /etc... But the gtk-apps run with Raleigh (or similar) and with nothing else. It doesn't matter, where the theme is (in my .themes folder or in /usr/share/themes), what the name is, which theme-changer modified the settings-files, or any other. I think, the system is "good", no missing deps or something, just because with sudo works... Is there any chmod issue with it, maybe?
I haven't found anything on the net, fluxbox and different distro reviews about gtk-theme changing, forums, etc...

Nothing changes, with or without a .gtkrc-2.0 file in my home folder. It seems, the gtk-apps don't look at this file, but I have no idea, why? Maybe a reinstall would help, but which packages?
akernar
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area