Can't install however can run live just fine.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Can't install however can run live just fine.

Postby Cruiseomatic » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:05

Nope. Did everything to the letter and it STILL doesn't want to work. Even did it on another machine and had the same results. How can everything else work but the installer? Only thing I had to do differently were the sizes. All I have to work with is 15 gigs. All that happens is my drive revs up and down. Even did all the formatting and partitioning through Gparted. Nothing.
Cruiseomatic
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:42

15 gigs is a pretty small partition, and if you designate 4 gigs for swap, you will have only 11 gigs for your install. Even if you cut your swap down to 2 gigs, and you manage to install in the remaining 13 gigs, you will run out of room to do anything in a very short time. I show a 64-bit 13.08 KDE installation (with no upgrades, and no additional packages), at close to 11 gigs.
How much room did you have on the "other machine"?
How big is your target drive? It is very strange that you would wipe it clean and still only have 15 gigs. How big is the windows drive, and did that drive come with the computer? Is it identified as sda?
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby Cruiseomatic » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:37

Going by the install wiki, I set the swap at 500 mb and root at 14.5 gbs. This is just to try it out on a more permanent basis for now. All this is going on an external drive. Target drive is 200 GBs but has other files and data on it for a network. And before you ask, I take it off the network for the install. Whats funny is, I can get KDE to install but not Gnome. As far as sdd or sda I don't remember. It does accept the formating just fine. And I would use KDE but can't stand it. And if you really want a laugh, The windows drive is only 74 GBs if that. Installed in a laptop. Running Win7 64-bit.
Cruiseomatic
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 16:41

I don't know how to advise you further. Of course, you can always install the KDE version, and then install Gnome, and, if you can't stand KDE, you could remove it. I still think the 14.5 gb partition may be part of the problem. You're very close to the absolute minimum size for a successful install.
Hopefully, someone else can help you.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 16:53

Another thing you could try would be to use the SpinBase LiveDVD (see Downloads link) to install SL to your HDD, and then use Entropy to install GNOME.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Cruiseomatic » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:22

Why would a Linux distro install need so much room? Windows doesn't even need that much room and its loaded with junk. Tonight or tomorrow I'll try again.

Just gave it a full 200 gbs to play with. STILL nothing. Even did a 5 gig swap. Did it per your post on setup. BTW, It shows the partitions as SDA.
Cruiseomatic
Baby Hen

Postby Cruiseomatic » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:59

Put it back to a 30 gb partition with 550 mb swap on a clean drive. I was able to actually get a error "novel" this time. It is attached. Or so I thought.....Attachment quota reached.....How else can I share it?
Cruiseomatic
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area