i can't find what i install

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

i can't find what i install

Postby joepunk » Thu Oct 17, 2013 20:28

hello everyone i'm giuseppe and i'm new to this forum, it's my first post so i thought it was better to post it here in order to avoid placement mistakes :? go to the point now, i installed Eclipse Ejc 4.2.1 and Android SDK Update Manager from RIGO but i can't find them in applications menu. Looking for a solution on the web i read about a program called "alacarte" which makes you decide what you want to diplay or hide on menu but i can't even find my progams. they result installed on RIGO and i try to run eclipse from terminal too but nothing happened (i simply wrote "eclipse").
i also installed other applications as clementine and unetbootin and everything works fine.

sabayon (13.08) with GNOME (3.8.4)
joepunk
Baby Hen

Re: i can't find what i install

Postby sihox » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:05

Hi there!

Maybe you just wanted to install eclipse ide? If that's true I think you should install eclipse-sdk package. Because eclipse-ecj is just java compiler (alternative to javac) and is used inside of ide.
I also believe that android sdk update manager is available from inside the eclipse ide (Window -> Android SDK Manager). But I can be wrong ;)

You should remember that not every package you're installing is a standard system app which can be run from apps menu :)

Have a good time with Sabayon Linux!
sihox
Young Hen

Postby joepunk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:38

hi sihox thank you for your answer you perfectly understood what i meant. i was looking for ide but apparently it's not avaible in RIGO :cry: i'm going to uninstall eclipse-ecj since i don't need.
i also installed virtualbox bin and it's the same of those apps :pale: have any suggestion?
joepunk
Baby Hen

Postby sihox » Fri Oct 18, 2013 14:24

joepunk wrote:i was looking for ide but apparently it's not avaible in RIGO :cry:

Oh. I didn't notice the fact that eclipse-sdk is only in portage (i don't know why there is no binary version...).
To install it using portage you can do something like:
Code: Select all
emerge --sync
emerge eclipse-sdk
equo rescue spmsync

But you should know that it could take some time cause it will be compiled from source.

joepunk wrote:i also installed virtualbox bin and it's the same of those apps :pale:

Hmm... That's strange. Virtualbox should be visible in apps. No other option...
Did you tried just hitting win-key (activities / overview) and entering virtualbox in search field? (under gnome 3 of course)
sihox
Young Hen

Postby joepunk » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:47

i solved my problems with virtual box thanks to this
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... Virtualbox
it didn't appear because i hadn't user setted yet :)
for the IDE issue i think i'll try another one
thank you so much
joepunk
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area