Things to work on.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Things to work on.

Postby donewithsabayon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:39

Hopefully a developer that actually cares will read this.

I tinkered with the latest Gnome of Sabayan all weekend.

Very annoying that bluetooth is not automatically running.

Even more annoying that virtually ALL the info for setting up Bluetooth pertains to Blues WITH TESTING enabled, yet the builds in the repositories have -testing set.

So you expect a NEW user to E a new build just to enable the Bluetooth?

I finally figured out that I could SU a terminal and then just BLUETOOTHD to get it running.

I could never get any of the stacks to receive a picture from my phone via PUSH.

How hard is it to have a GUI that will receive a PUSH picture or address or whatever over Bluetooth from the phone to the PC?

It's very annoying how you are warning against PORTAGE usage but yet the package installer you are implementing can't do 1/10th the stuff it needs to do so What the...???????

My favorite part of the whole thing........GNOME's login page looks nice as hell.

Other than that........I'm done with this for now. Will visit again maybe in a year if you are still around.

GUI appearance 8
GUI functionality 6
OS overall speed 7
Frustation level of basic stuff not working 10

now I guess I'll just abuse myself thanks to my wretched self hate because even I couldn't get the damn bluetooth working right......AGONY!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by a moderator. Please keep posts civil... children also browse these forums, and, in any case, it is possible to express strong displeasure/frustration without resorting to profanities.]
Baby Hen

Re: Things to work on.

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 19:03

What do you expect from Linux / a Linux distribution?
I don't know, how much experience you really have with a non Windows operating system plus its desktop GUIs.
But in my own humble opinion, Linux is not a toy, not just a simple surface like maybe a tablet os.
Linux is user friendly, if the user is open minded to it. If the user is willing to learn about the advantages to another operating system, willing to learn about differences. I never said, Linux is easy, though some friends and other people I know, expect. But no, to use Linux with you favourite GUI, you must learn, how to make it use, like you must have learned to use Windows. Do you remember, how long you've needed to learn Windows? Forgot, which problems have been appeared???
I don't say, Sabayon is the best distribution for you. But for most of us in this forum it is, for several reasons.
You can try other distros, maybe you will find, what you are looking for.
But, when you care to learn Linux and your favourite GUI, when you care it like a hobby, like a challenge, you may see a sense in the philosophy behind that all, and all the work the developers put in it.
Don't blame them, not just in the beginning, and later, be polite, that's netiquette.
I invite people to use a Linux distro, but I never force, I want to awake interest, fascination. But I don't deal with person, who only complain.
Btw. you don't give us really good information about your system. But I don't care. Anyway, I have a website here, which you may read, before you may ever decide again to do Linux:

I'm using KDE. Ok, bluetooth doesn't run out of the box, but I can start it with executing as root:
Code: Select all
equo update
equo install bluedevil
what makes appearing the bluetooth symbol in my bar
To make bluetooth activated on boot time, you'll need to execute as root:
Code: Select all
systemctl enable bluetooth.service

The secret, the way to understand Linux is to learn about the problems and then solve them, if necessary with forum's help.

I am...

-Linuxfluesterer (and I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
Old Dear Hen

Postby Superdonk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 13:01

OP 3/10
The reply 9/10
Baby Hen

Postby Honeyman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 14:32

Superdonk wrote:OP 3/10
The reply 9/10

I wouldn't even give 3 out of 10 for the original post.

BTW: @donewithsabayon:

The GUI you are referring to, GNOME, is not a thing specific to Sabayon. It is only ONE desktop environment available for Linux. You don't like it and the touch & feels sucks in your opinion, try another one, on Linux you have the choice: KDE, LXDE, XFCE, Cinnamon, Enlightenment 17, MATE, you name it.

If you are dissatisfied with GNOME, why are you blaming the Sabayon distribution? Did GNOME work well on other distributions? You never mentioned using other Linux variants. If they work better and do what you want them to do, fine. Nobody will be cross at you here, when you prefer a different Linux distribution over Sabayon!

It is always easy to blame others (Sabayon developers for instance) when something doesn't work as you expected and you are not willing seriously willing to look into the issue. Only because you don't understand something doesn't mean that it is wrong!
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area