rigo and flash fullscreen [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

rigo and flash fullscreen [Solved]

Postby aezio » Sun Oct 13, 2013 18:28

Hi guys,

first of all compliments, I've installed this great distro a couple of weeks ago and it is almost perfect for me.
I've 2 small problems, (tell me if I have to split this post in two separate ones).

The first problem is that after last update I'm not able to launch rigo, this is the error message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gi/overrides/GLib.py", line 629, in <lambda>
return (lambda data: callback(*data), user_data)
File "/usr/bin/rigo", line 914, in _permissions_setup
self._work_view_c.setup()
File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/controllers/work.py", line 195, in setup
box = self._setup_terminal_area()
File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/controllers/work.py", line 101, in _setup_terminal_area
self._terminal.reset()
File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/widgets/terminal.py", line 186, in reset
self._configure()
File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/widgets/terminal.py", line 177, in _configure
self.set_background_transparent(False)
AttributeError: 'TerminalWidget' object has no attribute 'set_background_transparent'

2. I've a problem with flash and the fullscreen mode, sometimes the portion of the screen corresponding to the player becomes black.
Info:
nvidia GTS250 with proprietary driver 319.49
the problem is the same with firefox and chromium
flash version 11.2.202.310-r1

Thank you!
Last edited by aezio on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:10, edited 1 time in total.
aezio
Baby Hen

Re: rigo and flash fullscreen

Postby dave_64 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 20:19

I don't know about the rigo question.
From a root terminal, what is the result of:
eselect opengl list
Because you have nvidia video card, it should look like this:
[1] ati
[2] nvidia *
[3] xorg-x11

If the asterisk is beside xorg-x11, you should set it to nvidia.
From a root terminal, type and enter:
eselect opengl set nvidia
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Oct 13, 2013 20:34

I have also performed the most recent Sabyon-Weekly update, and have observed subsequent failure-to-start of Rigo. The following is echoed to stdout/stderr when I execute "/usr/bin/rigo" as a user:
Code: Select all
Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `gtk-toolbar-style' of type `GtkToolbarStyle' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x22862c0)" of type `GtkToolbarStyle'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gi/overrides/GLib.py", line 629, in <lambda>
    return (lambda data: callback(*data), user_data)
  File "/usr/bin/rigo", line 914, in _permissions_setup
    self._work_view_c.setup()
  File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/controllers/work.py", line 195, in setup
    box = self._setup_terminal_area()
  File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/controllers/work.py", line 101, in _setup_terminal_area
    self._terminal.reset()
  File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/widgets/terminal.py", line 186, in reset
    self._configure()
  File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/widgets/terminal.py", line 177, in _configure
    self.set_background_transparent(False)                                     
AttributeError: 'TerminalWidget' object has no attribute 'set_background_transparent'             

Execution of "ps uax | grep -i rigo" returns
Code: Select all
volvo     4978  0.3  0.3 1540948 52820 ?       Sl   14:20   0:01 /usr/bin/python2.7 /usr/bin/rigo
root      5006  0.5  0.1 707328 26836 ?        Sl   14:20   0:02 /usr/bin/python2.7 /usr/lib/rigo/RigoDaemon/app.py --daemon-logging
volvo     5378  0.0  0.0  10856   944 pts/1    S+   14:29   0:00 grep --colour=auto rigo

Since I use Rigo to perform weekly-updates, I hope there is a fix before the next weekly release.

Thank you in advance.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby aezio » Sun Oct 13, 2013 21:31

dave_64 wrote:I don't know about the rigo question.
From a root terminal, what is the result of:
eselect opengl list
Because you have nvidia video card, it should look like this:
[1] ati
[2] nvidia *
[3] xorg-x11

If the asterisk is beside xorg-x11, you should set it to nvidia.
From a root terminal, type and enter:
eselect opengl set nvidia

Hi dave_64, thank you for your help.
The problem is the same with proprietary or open drivers, I've checked

Another strange thing is that the first time the fullscreen mode works, if I came back to the normal mode and after again to the fullscreen mode I get the error. If I restart firefox (or chromium, doesn't matter) the issue is exactly the same, the first time it works, from the second not.

Youtube is not affected by this problem.

@VolvoBirkenstock
Ok, I can wait, no problem
aezio
Baby Hen

Postby Cb7 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 21:41

Rigo in version 216 is broken, v. 217 in limbo repo works. Just wait for it to be rolled with updates. Until that use equo.

For second problem I'm afraid that I can't help with adobe-flash (I simply don't have it). If problem doesn't exist on Youtube, but on other sites, then it could meant that those websites/content were created having in mind newer version of flash than this available on Linux, since Linux version of adobe-flash gets only security updates, without getting new features/improvements/whatever (all thanks to Adobe).
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby aezio » Sun Oct 13, 2013 21:55

Cb7 wrote:For second problem I'm afraid that I can't help with adobe-flash (I simply don't have it). If problem doesn't exist on Youtube, but on other sites, then it could meant that those websites/content were created having in mind newer version of flash than this available on Linux, since Linux version of adobe-flash gets only security updates, without getting new features/improvements/whatever (all thanks to Adobe).

Yeah, fortunately Flash is not very used any more, apart for players.

Just a curiosity, how can you survive without flash today? I mean, for youtube you can use HTML5, but for the other players?
aezio
Baby Hen

Postby Cb7 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 22:54

So for total offtopic:
Reasons why I don't use adobe-flash:
  • I don't like proprietary software, and as long as I'm not forced into using it, I use only open-source software.
  • Adobe-flash is simply a security risk. Slowly, as time goes I tend to consider any closed-source software as security risk. Sometimes I just wonder whether it is really paranoid or just only a bit :D
  • Political reasons™:
I decided a long time ago that I don't want to use, and by using support anyone/anything that uses closed source software or demands using closed source software to work correctly/at all.
I won't say that it's easy or that I like how things are, but somehow being somewhat a kind of hermit is refreshing.

I don't really use steaming sites (usually they require adobe-flash and besides, usually using them is just a waste of time), only in rare cases Youtube, and even then I prefer to use youtube-dl instead of watching it 'online' (data is being downloaded anyway so…). That's because of:
  • Performance. Much better when video is played in vlc/mplayer. Trying to play in FHD HTML5 videos kills CPU, since GPU isn't really used to render it. I mean, it would work if you have 4 core processor working with fair clocks (It only would use computing power of ~2.5-3 cores available, that's totally acceptable (Hell no! :evil: ).)
  • Working. Even if HTML5 is enabled in Youtube, really often it doesn't work. Just because there are ads that are needed to be displayed, and in HTML5 they don't work (yet).
  • Ads. There simply is no ads when using youtube-dl.
  • Audio. Have you ever heard some noises in video that you liked? Easy download, then extraction of audio with avconv in less than a second. How amazing is that?

For other websites there is cclive, and other things as well.

tl;dr:
I just live in a way that doesn't require adobe-flash.

BTW, if issues are solved (I think they are, or am I wrong?), mark topic as [Solved]
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Oct 13, 2013 23:56

Cb7, you wrote:
Rigo in version 216 is broken, v. 217 in limbo repo works. Just wait for it to be rolled with updates. Until that use equo.

Thanks for the information. I'm not very good with equo. What do I need to do if I want to download Revision 217 now? /etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d shows both entropy_sabayon-weekly and entropy_server as allowed. _entropy_sabayon-limbo is obviously disallowed given the leading underscore. (I read the README in that directory.)

I assume that if I do nothing until the next Sabayon-Weekly release, then once that release is performed, I should simply run "equo install rigo"? Or "equo install app-admin/rigo-217"? Or "equo upgrade"? And after that run rigo? (If I recall correctly, enabling entropy_sabayon-limbo while other repositories are enabled can lead to some really strange problems.)

Thank you yet again.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:48

Yes. "equo install rigo" should work, once it's there. Don't enable the limbo repository unless you plan on helping test out packages.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: rigo and flash fullscreen [Solved]

Postby aezio » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:18

[OT]
I don't like proprietary software, and as long as I'm not forced into using it, I use only open-source software.

I fully agree

Adobe-flash is simply a security risk. Slowly, as time goes I tend to consider any closed-source software as security risk.
Sometimes I just wonder whether it is really paranoid or just only a bit :D

Well, of course you're right, flash is a high risk piece of crap. Some years ago there were a lot websites done completely in flash, but fortunately, now is almost disappeared apart for players.

For other websites there is cclive, and other things as well.

Interesting, thanks!
[OT]

All, thank you very much, great distro, great support, simply great :D
aezio
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area