modify permissions for a partition sabayon linux;4mounting

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: modify permissions for a partition sabayon linux;4mounti

Post by Stupot » Fri Oct 11, 2013 20:48

HenryP, maybe I missed it, but /dev/sda5 is a NTFS partition now, correct? But it was previously ext4 (before you reformmated)?

Since ext4 is a "native linux filesystem", it is correct that you should fix it via chmod, chown, etc. If your root user wasn't able to chmod some file and give itself the ability to write to it, then there was something else wrong with the mounting. Keep in mind, if you share this partition with another linux install that has different users and/or groups, you'll probably introduce issues for that other linux install (unless you just want everybody to be able to read and write, then just chmod 777 to everything and move on).

Of course, ntfs does not have the same permission structure as a linux filesystem, so when it is mounted, you have to specify what sort of permissions you wish it to have. This is what you just installed. We've got a little wiki entry that should tell you what to do if you wish to keep it as ntfs:
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... read/write

HenryP
Young Hen

Re: modify permissions for a partition sabayon linux;4mounti

Post by HenryP » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:49

Stupot wrote:HenryP, maybe I missed it, but /dev/sda5 is a NTFS partition now, correct? But it was previously ext4 (before you reformmated)?
Exactly, but I only did this to try & see if I could read & write to this partition from Sabayon because it appeared I could at least read from my Windows disk (I did not realize that was all I could do, yet). &, I suppose one other advantage might be that I could easier share files between the two OS's (a secondary reason).
Since ext4 is a "native linux filesystem", it is correct that you should fix it via chmod, chown, etc. If your root user wasn't able to chmod some file and give itself the ability to write to it, then there was something else wrong with the mounting. Keep in mind, if you share this partition with another linux install that has different users and/or groups, you'll probably introduce issues for that other linux install (unless you just want everybody to be able to read and write, then just chmod 777 to everything and move on).
I'm the only user on my computer... & as I said in an earlier post here (the P.s.), it seems both the partition in question, & another usb3 drive seem to be mounting in two places: /dev/sda5 got mounted to is /run/media/henry/BigDog & directories are mounted ALSO in '/var/run/media/henry. & then I ask:
How the heck does that happen? & what to do? :roll: :?

Of course, ntfs does not have the same permission structure as a linux filesystem, so when it is mounted, you have to specify what sort of permissions you wish it to have. This is what you just installed. We've got a little wiki entry that should tell you what to do if you wish to keep it as ntfs:
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... read/write
& Thanks much for the reference, I will check this site out... need to learn.

So the two motives for me here are:
1.) see if I can get the internal hd (/dev/sda5) to read write from Sabayon (which ever file system, NTFS/Ext4).
2.) This all started out (why I went for Sabayon... It has AMD64 OS, which I needed to) try & install Gentoo on sda5.

Gentoo on the back burner for now... just would like to get all my potential, working more or less correctly... as I have projects to do with my sound studio.

Thanks again Stupot, hoping I clarified some...

Regards,
Henry

P.s., re your reference to Windows permissions, to be clear, my version of Windows is 8, & my bios is actually UEFI (which I have some problems to go through, before basic resolution is close at hand).