Keyboard Disabled After Last Update - Can't Log In

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Keyboard Disabled After Last Update - Can't Log In

Postby frogprince » Sun Oct 06, 2013 15:20

I'm running Sabayon AMD64 with Gnome. I last updated about six weeks ago, after which we left town for an extended trip. On my return, when I tried to boot Sabayon, the process worked fine until I got to the log in screen. At that point, neither the mouse nor keyboard would allow me to select my user name to log in. The keyboard worked at the initial boot screen which asks which version of Sabayon to boot from, so it's not the BIOS setting. The same machine also boots and runs Magaeia flawlessly when using a different HD, so I do not suspect hardware (this system has a removable hard drive cage) .

Has anyone else seen this problem? How do I get into a terminal to correct what? Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance.
frogprince
Baby Hen

Re: Keyboard Disabled After Last Update - Can't Log In

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:01

To boot into a terminal select the "recovery" option from the initial boot screen and that should tell you if the problem is just in the GUI. If you can get to the point where you can login to the terminal then try (as root)
Code: Select all
equo update --force
equo upgrade --ask
equo deptest
and
equo libtest
. If you still can't login to gnome then post the results of lsusb, lspci and dmesg and tell us what sort of mouse and keyboard you have.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Oct 11, 2013 15:41

My roommate ran into this exact problem. This is what we did to fix it.

Boot into Safe Mode. At some point during the safe mode boot it will ask you to try and continue to boot the desktop to stop there. You'll want to stop there. Log in as root. Then we'll need remount root to have write access and start up networking management:
# mount -n -o remount,rw /
# /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

At this point, you're at a working terminal with networking working. So, let's go ahead and fetch the latest from the entropy repo and have it perform some library checking.
# equo update
# equo upgrade
# equo deptest
# equo libest

What we think happened was something went wrong installing one of the packages and it aborted/crashed halfway through, leaving the system in an incompatible state concerning it's x11-drivers.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby apaz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:38

In add to the Stupot's reply:

#equo i xf86-input-evdev --ask

Sorry for my english
apaz
Simple Hen

Postby frogprince » Wed Oct 16, 2013 21:24

Folks, thanks for your reply. Not long after I posted this, we left town for five weeks. I'm now back to troubleshooting this problem.

I did as above, but this did not fix the problem. I did receive the following error message:

Invalid file system encoding ANSIX3.4-1968
Must be UTF-8

and

Change LC_ALL, LANG, LANGUAGE to UTF-8.

Can someone tell me the whereabouts of these files so that I can edit them? Or ???

Thank you again.
frogprince
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area