doubts from a newbie to sabayon, and almost new to linux

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

doubts from a newbie to sabayon, and almost new to linux

Postby lucsampaio » Fri Oct 04, 2013 14:58

Hello... I've been using - quite traumatically, btw - Linux Mint for the last few months, and just jumped to Sabayon (very nice, at least up to now, specially the out-of-the-box compatibility with macbook pro), but I'm yet to get some things done.

1: I'm an academic, and as such I REALLY need LaTeX to work. At first, I went the TUG way, and used install-tl script to get TeX in my machine. However, since it required su to run, itś not the way I like to roll with it. I deleted texlive folder from /usr/local/ and now I have a Rigo install of texlive. However, I really need ABNTeX2 installed, and I can get it working under a user pw (Rigo only have anbtex, the previous, deprecated version of the class, and I can get tlmgr to work. I think it might be related to my not getting right the whole "set path" TUG reccomends)
--> So, basically, anyone can enlighten me on how do i get LaTeX and tlmgr installed and working under user pw?
also, any help on the "set path" issue is also welcome (I know, linux basics, but iḿ really not a computer savvy person in the way most linuxers are. I'm a quite regular user, and everything I tried with this backfired. Thankfully I use to get safe copies of .files to recover from any bad things I make writing to them ;) )

2: I use a dual display setup, with both the MBP display and a Dell 23" external on DVI. Is there any way i can set the main display (with the panels and so on) to the external Dell? I used to use NVidia X Server on Mint, but didn find something alike in Sabayon yet.

3: I'm under XFCE DE, but really hate Thunar. any reccomendations for a nice - preferably dual-panelled, untabbed - file manager? I found out there is a Commander something, but it's not on Rigo.

For a first post, I think this is more than enough, and I'm thankful already for any help sent my way.

cheers
Luc
lucsampaio
Baby Hen

Re: doubts from a newbie to sabayon, and almost new to linux

Postby Stupot » Fri Oct 04, 2013 16:10

I read about g-ctan, which is sort of a tlmgr replacement for gentoo. It doesn't seem to be in entropy, so you can file a bug to have it included. It is in the standard portage tree, so should be fairly trivial. You can attempt to install it via portage for the time being, but doing so would technically be unsupported.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby lucsampaio » Fri Oct 04, 2013 16:23

Thanks Stupot... I'll check on it :)
lucsampaio
Baby Hen

Postby Honeyman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 17:07

Hi lucsampaio,

welcome to Sabayon. Sad to hear that you had such a bad time with Linux Mint, most people I know who are using it are quite satisfied with it. But well, you found another great distribution, Sabayon Linux.

I never use Rigo for package installation but prefer the command line, I have the impression that entropy (Sabayon's package manager) finds more packages there, but I could be wrong on this point.

I searched for the abntex package and found the following, but if I understood you correctly, this one is too old.
Here is an example of how you can search for packages via your shell:

Code: Select all
pascal@Sabayon-Parcellite ~ $ equo search abntex
>>  @@ Suche...
>>      @@ Paket: dev-tex/abntex-0.9_beta2 Branch: 5, [sabayon-weekly]
>>         Verfügbar:      Version: 0.9_beta2 ~ tag: NoTag ~ Version: 0
>>         Installiert:    Version: Nicht installiert ~ tag: N/A ~ Version: N/A
>>         Slot:           0
>>         Homepage:       http://abntex.codigolivre.org.br/
>>                         http://abntex.sourceforge.net/
>>         Beschreibung:   LaTeX macros for writing documents
>>                         following the ABNT norms.
>>         Lizenz:         LPPL-1.3c
>>  Schlüsselwörter:  abntex
>>  Gefunden:         1 Eintrag

It might a good idea to ask on the TeX-mailinglist for help on your issue: http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/texhax. They can probably help you, I seems that most of its subscribers are Linux users. Another option is the TeX-forum of Stackexchange (http://tex.stackexchange.com/).

Sorry that I cannot be of any further help.

Regarding the two-paned file manager the definitive Swiss army knife is KDE's Krusader (for screenshots look here: http://www.krusader.org/documentation/i ... t-krusader), but has tabs, which you could ignore of course. It has so many capabilities that one can get easily confused, I only use a tiny fraction, so generally that is not a program recommendable for everyone. I have not found Gnome-Commander (for screenshots look here: http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/shots.html) in Sabayon's repositories (I have probably overlooked it), which also has two panes, but a lot fewer options compared to Krusader, thus having a simpler interface.

I know that GNOME's default file manager Nautilus displays a two-paned structure when you press F3 giving you the option of moving/copying file between the panes.

The most geeky file manager is arguably the Midnight Commander or simply called mc (for screenshots look here: http://freecode.com/projects/midnightco ... shot1.html). MC normally gets invoked from the shell, has a variety of option by default only two panes, lets you transfer files over the network (Krusader and Gnome-Commander also allow you to do that). It is the least resource-hungry of the file managers I mentioned.

I hope this helps you at least somewhat.
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Postby lucsampaio » Mon Oct 07, 2013 22:44

Thanks a lot, Honeyman!

On the ABNTeX issua, indeed, I had also found the first abntex package, but it's deprecated since abntex2 is available on other distros. I've talked to the ppl behind it to get it installed (it's just a matter of knowing whr to untar the package folders, since it's a resource package for the TeX installation) and I managed to get it going (still has some hiccups, but that's 'cause some of the contents are not yet in their proper places).

I think the only think I really miss from Mint after going to Sabayon is indeed Caja (lightweight, dual-panelled, enough for my needs) FM, but I'm not sure i want to use that on my Sabayon/XFCE environment due to the amount of dependencies I might need to get it working.

I'll check on your other suggestions, so thanks a lot indeed ;)

cheers
lucsampaio
Baby Hen

Postby Honeyman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 23:02

You could install the MATE desktop it comes with Caja. BTW: Caja is just a fork of GNOME's Nautilus graphical file manager (To me they only differ in names).
You know that you have the option of checking for dependencies first on Sabayon? Just put --ask after the installation command:
Code: Select all
# equo install foo --ask

It will ask you, whether you really want to install all the dependencies.
I just checked for a package caja, but there is none. So I guess, it's part of the MATE desktop environment that has indeed a large number of dependencies.
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Postby lucsampaio » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:35

Indeed, my refusal from getting Caja instaled was from the number of dependencies it requires... I wasn't really aware that caja is just a fork on nautilus... gonna check further on that.

thanks again ;)
lucsampaio
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area