modifying /etc/fstab to enable partition (etc.) to mount

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

modifying /etc/fstab to enable partition (etc.) to mount

Postby HenryP » Thu Oct 03, 2013 19:42

Hi,

New install of Sabayon here... have xfce, Mate, & KDE desktops (currently using KDE, seems to work better with my hardware setup). I have the Sabayon OS installed on a USB 3. hd, there are some problems booting, which is another problem topic I will need to address at some point soon, but in the meantime, I have a temporary workaround... (I can boot eventually)...

Presently, I wish to be able to utilize a one TB partition, formatted in ext4, on my 2 TB hard drive, of which the first partition has Windows 8 installed (I do dual boot). I have tried to manually mount it, & it does (with proper authorization), but I cannot write to it, & or change the permissions (root) via the properties window.

I know I need to edit my /etc/fstab to enable a partition (etc.) to mount on startup. I have looked around, & have found help forums that seem not to pertain to my system & setup, i.e., openRC, Gentoo, & mostly folks with problems mounting external drives... The drive I need to know about is an internal drive in my HP Pavillion 500-046 desktop...

Any clear help/suggestions here will be most appreciated.

HenryP

P.s., with the last upgrade, I now apparently use systemd...
HenryP
Young Hen

Re: modifying /etc/fstab to enable partition (etc.) to mount

Postby gocool » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:16

For our discussion we will assume its sda3. If so add the following to /etc/fstab
Code: Select all
/dev/sda3               /run/media/user/MyDrive    ext4    defaults        0 0

PS: under /run/media "user" will be the user name by which you have logged in and "MyDrive" is the name of the folder you want it to be mounted as, which you will create it before hand.
gocool
Growing Hen

Postby HenryP » Fri Oct 04, 2013 21:16

gocool wrote:For our discussion we will assume its sda3. If so add the following to /etc/fstab
/dev/sda3               /run/media/user/MyDrive    ext4    defaults        0 0

PS: under /run/media "user" will be the user name by which you have logged in and "MyDrive" is the name of the folder you want it to be mounted as, which you will create it before hand.

Hi,

Thanks for reply gocool. I tried:

/dev/sda5       /run/media/henry/BD      ext4    defaults        0 0

&:

/dev/sda5       /run/media/user/BD      ext4    defaults        0 0

The 'BD' is the name of the folder I did (as su) in media. Niether one seems to work... (after both log out & restart).

Am I doing something wrong (or perhaps misunderstand your suggestion)?

Regards,
HenryP
HenryP
Young Hen

Postby HenryP » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:59

Researching further, I found from the man mount... a command:
 mount -l

& found this in the out put (which seems to contradict the fact that I can not write to said /dev/sd5):

/dev/sda5 on /run/media/user/BD type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered) [BigDog]
/dev/sda5 on /var/run/media/user/BD type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered) [BigDog]

So I am further puzzeled...

Henry :|

P.s., could this now be a question of changing the permissions? I do not remember the name of the gui utility in Debian (long time no use), but you could change the mount status/permissions with it...
HenryP
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area