After Installation: can't boot

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

After Installation: can't boot

Postby theWeird » Wed Oct 02, 2013 17:12

Hey there,

finally I succeed in installing sabayon on my Thinkpad x121e.
But after completing setup with default settings the first boot endet in a grub shell with message "Unknown Filesystem"

After searching this forum I found a not too old post of someone else that tried to install /boot with btrfs.
The suggestion there was to use ext2 instead, and that worked.

So I installed again, using ext2 for /boot instead of default ext4,
now it ends up with "Operating system not found".

Do you have any ideas?
theWeird
Baby Hen

Re: After Installation: can't boot

Postby crex » Wed Oct 02, 2013 23:22

Pri Pri Pri Extended
[ Fat32 ] [ Ext4 ] [ swap ] [ /mount point NTFS ]

I swapped between GParted and Installer and I got things working.
crex
Baby Hen

Postby theWeird » Thu Oct 03, 2013 15:24

Ok, thank you ... but,
What does that mean?
theWeird
Baby Hen

Postby crex » Thu Oct 03, 2013 15:45

crex
Baby Hen

Postby Cb7 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 16:12

@crex
when using GPT instead of MBR what you linked to is bullsh*t. Please don't link to things that are not accurate/relevant.

@theWeird
I'm surprised that you've managed to install system at all, since to me installing recent versions of Sabayon in VM with btrfs as / resulted in crashing installer. Which ISO did you use?

Anyway, for /boot partition use ext4. There's simply no really good reason to not use it. (I mean, there are reasons, but if you even don't know them, there's obviously no need for you to use ext2 instead of ext4.)

Not enough info. If you don't see info, remove 'quiet' parameter form kernel boot options (when grub window shows, press 'e', remove 'quiet' and boot kernel pressing CTRL + x ).
Is your laptop with UEFI? If so, then you need a separate partition, iirc formated as efi partition, mounted in /boot/efi , google more if that's the case.

And give exact error message it makes things easier. It couldn't hurt anyone, could it?
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby crex » Thu Oct 03, 2013 22:18

@Cb7 - ok, thank you. I was not aware of GPT
crex
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:17

@theWeird
Are you trying to install a dual boot with windows or another linux?
Are you installing with "auto partitioning"...(the default sabayon install)?
Do you have any data on your laptop which you need to preserve?
Learning to install is important for new users who want to learn linux, because you will be more willing to take chances in learning, if you know you can reinstall in a matter of minutes.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby theWeird » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:39

@Cb7
I used the Gnome x64 Image. But I didn't try to use / with btrfs, that was just a note from a thred of another user in this forum that managed istallation with ext2 instead of btrfs. So I tried to use the older ext2 instead of ext4 for /boot

There are no files on my netbook that aren't secured on an external disk before I started the installation and, beware, there is no windows on the same harddisk :)

My laptop is with UEFI.
The Sabayon Installer suggests me to format the Disk like this:
/boot/efi (as EFI)
/boot (ext4)
LVM
-> / (ext4)
-> /home (ext4)
-> Swap

Using this, grub tells me "Unknown Filesystem"
Then I tried this (without LVM)
/boot/efi (EFI)
/boot (ext2)
Swap
/ (ext4)
And my laptop quits with "Operating System not found"

There is never a grub window shown, version 1 starts direct into a grub shell.

It seems, that the EFI installation of sabayon is not recognized by my laptop.
On the first try I had an old entry "ubuntu" from the previous ubuntu installation in my boot device list. This option ended up in "Unknown Filesystem"
But Sabayon is not recognized. So, since "ubuntu" is removed from boot device list I cannot get more than "Operating system not found"

I tried to reinstall Sabayon with default parameters and tried the Bootloader recovery option. Didn't work.
theWeird
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 16:45

I'm still not clear as to whether or not you have a secondary internal drive, or perhaps, an external usb drive. However, I will offer this procedure and if it does not help you, it may help someone else.
Clear your hard drive. Since you have LVM partitions already on your drive, I recommend you use gparted or Partition Magic to remove any and all partitions on your drive. You should be left with an unformatted and unpartitioned drive.
Start your sabayon install. After doing the setup stuff, you will come to a page that offers you an option of "custom partitioning" (or "custom install"). Choose that and you will be presented with a page that shows your unpartitioned, unformatted drive in graphical representation. It might say "free space". Click on that and then click on the "create" button.
On the next page, you need to fill out just 2 fields. On the "file system of type", pull the menu and choose "swap". The next one is "size of partiton". Type in 4000.
Now "Okay" it or "apply" it, and click on the remaining "free space" in the graph. Click on the "create" button and fill out 3 fields. For "mount point", pull the menu and choose / .
For "file system", pull the menu and choose ext4.
For "size", type in 70000. Hit okay, apply, and continue. If it works, install a second instance of sabayon in the remaining free space. For the second instance, you will only need to create one partition, because you already have a swap partition.
Use one of your sabayons to learn and experiment with. When you break it, you will have another one you can boot.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby theWeird » Fri Oct 04, 2013 21:16

Hmm, thank you, but, didn't work.

I have no other drives in my netbook. only the usb stick I boot sabayon install from.
I deleted all partitions unsing gparted and started the installer.
But I was forced to create a partition for /boot/efi.
So I created the following partitions:
/boot/efi (200 mb EFI)
Swap (10G)
/ (200G, ext4)

But the big problem still is, that installation of sabayone isn't recognized by my netbook bios.
I can't boot with EFI disabled in bios, and Sabayon doesn't appear in my boot list.
theWeird
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area