An introduction from a Sabayon newbie. [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

An introduction from a Sabayon newbie. [Solved]

Postby Savoritias » Thu Sep 26, 2013 19:32

Hi everyone
I installed Sabayon today after a long time in Arch and I got to say Gentoo is hugely different. I installed Cinnamon after the installation since it is not installed by default and the transition has been pretty smoth. But I have two questions:
1) I have used to remove orphan packages in Arch that teh system no longer needed. Can I do that in Sabayon because wiki doesn't seem to mention anything.
2) Cinnamon is working fine but is going really slow and I don't know why. I have the nouveau driver installed but I didn't have any problems with Nouveau on effects in Arch. I have tried both on and off software rendering.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Savoritias on Fri Sep 27, 2013 13:10, edited 2 times in total.
Savoritias
Baby Hen

Re: An introduction from a Sabayon newbie.

Postby Stupot » Thu Sep 26, 2013 20:18

If you are using portage, I don't recall there being anything mentioned about orphaned packages.

Using entropy, it will tell you about orphaned packages after performing an upgrade if you've got any.

As far as the nVidia GPU goes, most people use the proprietary driver if they are using nVidia. It's performance is just so much better in most cases.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area