How to add Gentoo's 'net-misc' repo to get bfgminer?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How to add Gentoo's 'net-misc' repo to get bfgminer?

Postby NginUS » Sun Sep 22, 2013 22:23

Hi,

I'm new to Sabayon, and I came to try it because I found via Google that an app I aim to use called 'bfgminer' is included in Gentoo's repos by default, and I had hoped that since Sabayon is based on Gentoo, it would be included here, but alas, it's 'not found' when I search for it in the package manager.

So I'm here writing in the forums to see if there's a way to find out what repo Gentoo uses to include it for themselves, and maybe add it to Sabayon?

Is there a way to do this? If so, how?

I'm new to Sabayon & Gentoo, and have no idea how the package manager works, and would need extra simple step by step instructions as to how to add the repo that would allow me to install bfgminer by means of the package manager should there be a way to do so.

So could someone advise as to how to do this please?

Thanks in advance?

-Chris
Last edited by NginUS on Sun Sep 22, 2013 22:28, edited 2 times in total.
NginUS
Baby Hen

How to add whatever repo includes bfgminer

Postby NginUS » Sun Sep 22, 2013 22:24

I'm just posting this reply because originally I forgot to check the 'notify me when a reply is posted' checkbox, and by posting this reply, it allows me to do so.
NginUS
Baby Hen

Re: How to add whatever repo includes bfgminer?

Postby NginUS » Sun Sep 22, 2013 22:27

Here's the link to bfgminer in Gentoo:

http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-misc/bfgminer
NginUS
Baby Hen

Re: How to add Gentoo's 'net-misc' repo to get bfgminer?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 0:30

You could click on the link 'Bugs' at the top right of this page and file a request for the package to be added to the Entropy repository. That would be the safest approach.

You could try installing it via the Portage package manager, which is Gentoo's source package manager, but you may find it will not install in SL, or will break something. If you want to risk it, open a Konsole/Terminal window, log in as root user and try the following commands:

Code: Select all
$ su
Password:
# emerge --sync
# emerge bfgminer
# equo rescue spmsync # Tell Entropy what you did via Portage.
# exit
exit
$
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area