Best iso to install to get both Gnome and KDE [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Best iso to install to get both Gnome and KDE [Solved]

Postby sitquietly » Sun Sep 22, 2013 19:36

I'm about to install Sabayon on my wife's computer to replace Funtoo. I intend to end up with both gnome and kde desktops installed. I saw a comment somewhere that the Gnome iso, for whatever reason, gave a more reliable installation than the KDE iso so tentatively I intend to install from the Gnome daily image and then emerge (well, equo install) kde-meta. But she will almost surely be sticking with the kde ecosystem and I'd be glad to hear from anyone who has experience installing both desktops and can recommend the best way to get a good system configuration. Install Gnome iso and then emerge kde -- OR -- install KDE iso and then emerge gnome??

I suppose I may get different USE flags depending on which flavor I start with but don't know how that will work out since I can't just change them post-install the way I would with gentoo/funtoo...
Last edited by sitquietly on Mon Sep 23, 2013 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
sitquietly
Baby Hen

Re: Best iso to install to get both Gnome and KDE desktops

Postby dave_64 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:58

I haven't heard more than one person say they had trouble installing kde, but gnome installed ok. In any event, if it was me, I would probably get this one:
http://torrents.sabayon.org/file?info_h ... 00%C5KU%93
which is the gnome 64-bit iso (version 13.09). and upgrade it, and then install kde:
equo install kde-meta
I suppose installing gnome from kde is similarly easy, but, I've never done it, and don't know how.
I doubt that USE flags are going to enter in to situation at all, unless you decide to build your own kernel or start using portage.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Re: Best iso to install to get both Gnome and KDE desktops

Postby sitquietly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 16:59

Thanks for the link. I am indeed installing gnome first and kde over it.
sitquietly
Baby Hen

Re: Best iso to install to get both Gnome and KDE [Solved]

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:33

I Installed KDE first and have had no trouble adding Gnome and all the other DEs that Sabayon have. I just let entropy handle it all. Thinking back to a little while ago I did have some trouble installing KDE on an old machine so I installed Cinnamon as a starting point and added KDE to that - you should have no problem at all.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area