both binary and source based software installer [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

both binary and source based software installer [Solved]

Postby empirer64 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 13:36

Hello, I want to ask if it is possible to use portage to install the binary packages from entropy and if not, are you considering to implement also the source based package (I mean ebuilds from gentoo) installing into entropy (so there will be no need to use portage in sabayon)?
Last edited by empirer64 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
empirer64
Baby Hen

Re: both binary and source based software installer

Postby empirer64 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 21:26

i will ask differently. Can I use portage to install the binary packages from entropy? Because I read something about it on the sabayon wiki, that the binary packages are after a small conversion compatible with Gentoo.
empirer64
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:22

I have to ask; Why do you want to use the binary packages to install from source? Sabayon supports portage as well but it's not a good idea to mix that with entropy unless you know what you're doing.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby empirer64 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 13:30

Because I want to compile some source packages with another USE flags on Sabayon and also want to use binary packages from Sabayon on my Gentoo machine (its another PC)
empirer64
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 14:47

empirer64 wrote:Because I want to compile some source packages with another USE flags on Sabayon and also want to use binary packages from Sabayon on my Gentoo machine (its another PC)

You will be able to install entropy using portage (Sabayon overlay) on your Gentoo machine and, in theory, install Sabayon binary packages on that machine. I have never done it but I'm sure someone has and hopefully they will come along and answer more thoroughly. I would certainly think it's worth trying.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby empirer64 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 15:17

Thanks for reply :D
empirer64
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Sep 24, 2013 17:33

Here's why what you are doing is tricky.

When you change use flags and recompile everything, they are all compiled in a compatible way. The packages built in entropy are built this way and the packages on an individual machine are also compiled this way.

But, if you mix and match, they might not match up nicely. If you decide to recompile a library and you end up removing support for something that a prebuilt (entropy) package relies on, there's a good chance that application will crash. The lower you go, the better chance you will break something.

If, for the most part, you are simply compiling applications differently without compiling their dependencies, and they themselves aren't a dependency, then you'll be perfectly fine. Worst case scenario, that application might not work right, but you won't really harm your system.

If you decide you want to recompile, let's say, all of KDE or gnome to have different use flags, then you are going to have an extremely rough time.

If you are looking to go the other way around, and simply install a few entropy packages on a mostly compiled portage system, those packages will most likely not work right. Entropy, by default, won't even let you do that although it certainly possible to get around it's warnings and pleas for sanity.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby empirer64 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 18:31

Thank you
empirer64
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area