Silly Question about wine

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Silly Question about wine

Postby rekinchin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 23:05

Hi there I am very new with sabayon just loaded it on my laptop along side windows. Most of what I want is here in SL but I have a few windows apps that i have to run. So I installed the first using wine and wow it all works. But I cant find it in the KDE there doesnt seem to be a wine programs menu that I can find. The only way I have been able to run it is via the file manager. So the silly question how do I run wine installed apps?
Fanks
rekinchin
Young Hen

Re: Silly Question about wine

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Sep 21, 2013 20:21

It's not a silly question. :)

I believe this is a bug. When you installed the programme did you elect to have a desktop link. It's best to allow all those bits and pieces and remove the ones you don't want later. The only way I could get Picasa to run was directly from the wine directory and then eventually found the correct command and work path by trial and error. I could then add it to my Menu and also as a shortcut on the desktop.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 16:54

I'm not sure if it is a bug. Wine isn't really an application you run all by itself, it's just a bunch of libraries that translate windows API into linux API as the best it can. There are a number of applications out there that are "wine launchers" for a lack of a better term. They do their best to organize windows applications and make lauching one a simple point and click. Q4wine is one I know of, which integrates nicely into the KDE evironment.

Now, after you've installed an application through steam, a lot of times there will be a menu entry created for that. If not, then there is a bug.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 17:08

Stupot wrote:Now, after you've installed an application through steam, a lot of times there will be a menu entry created for that. If not, then there is a bug.

Almost all the installations I've done recently through wine (nothing to do with steam) have failed to create a menu entry. It started for me with the wine 1.6x and continues with wine 1.7. A quick google shows that it's a common problem. I think we need to wait for the latest wine to appear in entropy.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area