Can't select user for time setting in Cinnamon

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Can't select user for time setting in Cinnamon

Postby brian_the_droid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:38

Hi.

When running the cinnamon DE and attempting to make my time "network time", it asks me to authenticate but only shows me the user that was added by portage. it does not show me my user or give me an option to switch. When using KDE, I am given the option to switch between the two. Also, how do I find out what the password would be for the other user that was added by portage?

Thanks.
brian_the_droid
Baby Hen

Re: Can't select user for time setting in Cinnamon

Postby brian_the_droid » Tue Sep 24, 2013 20:17

anyone?
brian_the_droid
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:43

I have very little experience of Cinnamon but I assume it has an equivalent to KDE system settings. You need to run that as root to alter the time settings. If it doesn't work I hope that someone who uses Cinnamon will come along before another 3 weeks is up!
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby brian_the_droid » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:38

I understand that it takes root to run, which is part of the problem. It is asking for the root password but unlike the KDE window that pops up for authorizations, it only shows the default gentoo added user and not my actual user. The KDE window, for authorizations, gives me an options to choose the user. I have no idea what the password for the default gentoo user is because I didn't add it and it is not the same password as my account. That's the issue.
brian_the_droid
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:43

I expect it's related to this bug report; https://bugs.sabayon.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4336

PS It's not a good idea to post the same problem in two places - people won't know which to respond to. :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby brian_the_droid » Thu Sep 26, 2013 22:33

I do think it is related, which is nice to know. Hopefully they can get it fixed soon.
brian_the_droid
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area