Need help auto-starting new daemon with systemd [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Need help auto-starting new daemon with systemd [Solved]

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:28

I performed a search on this site but couldn't find an explicit instruction set for how to auto-start a new daemon with systemd.

I recently purchased a UPS and have the vendor-supplied daemon-executable. The vendor installation shell-script failed to configure the daemon for auto-start during boot because the installation shell-script did not have a subsection that addressed systemd. I know how to set up modules in systemd (because of assistance from this excellent forum), but I do not know how to set up daemons for auto-start during boot. Can anyone here please provide an explicit set of instructions (or provide a link) for configuring a daemon so it will auto-start during boot?

I know that the daemon works correctly since I can manually start it as root and query it using a second vendor-supplied executable.

Thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by VolvoBirkenstock on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:22, edited 1 time in total.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Re: Need help auto-starting new daemon with systemd

Postby linuxfluesterer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13

Hallo Volvo.
Exactly, it is not too much different to start a script (a batch file) when booting with systemd comparing to sysvinit (OpenRC).
VolvoBirkenstock wrote:I know that the daemon works correctly since I can manually start it as root and query it using a second vendor-supplied executab

You can put a script, which contains your manually command to start your daemon into directory /etc/local.d
A script to start at boot must have the extension .start (e.g. upsdaemon.start).
The next point is, that systemd must be told to enable the local-d.service while booting.
You can enable as root with:
Code: Select all
systemctl enable local-d.service

And, if you are interested in the status of your (systemd) services, then do this (as root):
Code: Select all
systemctl --show

Hope to help you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Need help auto-starting new daemon with systemd [Solved]

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:24

Linuxfluesterer, you have done it yet again!
Most excellent, Sir!
I have placed this thread into the "Solved" state. :-)
Thank you VERY much!
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area