Hangs on login

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Hangs on login

Postby itlarson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 18:02

I have have used Sabayon in the past with good results. This time however, I can't get it to work. The problem is that although it boots fine after the initial install, updating or installing anything breaks the desktop. At the point where I should be loging in the computor won't take any mouse or keyboard input. The only way to get it to work at all is to boot into the rescue mode from grub.

Could anyone give me some ideas how to aproach fixing this? Which log files should I look in? Maybee I could ssh into it, if it's not totaly hung. Could this be an issue with kscreenlocker, since it also causes the computor to not take keyboard input? Any input would be helpfull
itlarson
Baby Hen

Re: Hangs on login

Postby Stupot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 19:22

My buddy ran into an issue when he rebooted after an update stopped (maybe crashed) halfway through. None of the X11 drivers had updated, so he couldn't use the mouse or keyboard as soon as the splash screen for kdm started up.

Here's what I did to fix it:

Boot into recovery mode. At some point it will prompt you to stop or attempt to continue on. We stopped there.

Then I got the networking up and running via a :
Code: Select all
# /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

From there, I just needed to finish the upgrade
# equo update && equo upgrade

rebooting from that point, everything worked.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby itlarson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 23:58

Thanks- that did it. I had tried updating before, but was getting no uouput from equo. I didn't realize this was because I had no internet. It would be nice if this was started by default, as I can never remember the command. Isn't it going to change with system d anyway?
itlarson
Baby Hen

Postby Cb7 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 14:04

It is normally started automatically, just in this case it is not, since you're 'stopping' before launching of system gets to the point where NetworkMangaer is launched. (I assume 'stop' happens before getting to 'default' runlevel, on which NetworkManger is launched by OpenRC.)

With systemd it may look differently, to some degree. If it's about 'commands', then with systemd it would look like:
systemctl start NetworkManager.service
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area