How to install Heimdall?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How to install Heimdall?

Postby mark_d » Sun Aug 18, 2013 13:30

How to install Heimdall? I downloaded "heimdall-suite-1.4.0.tar.gz" from https://bitbucket.org/benjamin_dobell/h ... /downloads unpacked and do not know what to do next to make it install

EDIT: I tried this: as a user and admin

Code: Select all
[email protected] ~/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0 $ cd heimdall
[email protected] ~/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall $ ./configure
checking for pkg-config... no
checking for DEPS... no
configure: error: in `/home/xuser/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall':
configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables DEPS_CFLAGS
and DEPS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
See `config.log' for more details
[email protected] ~/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall $ autoconf
bash: autoconf: nie znaleziono polecenia
[email protected] ~/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall $ libtoolize && autoreconf
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
bash: autoreconf: nie znaleziono polecenia
[email protected] ~/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall $ make && make install
make: *** Nie podano obiektów i nie znaleziono makefile. Stop.
[email protected] ~/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall $

and also tried this
xkomp heimdall # emerge heimdall

Performing Global Updates:
(Could take a couple of minutes if you have a lot of binary packages.)
  .='update pass'  *='binary update'  #='/var/db update'  @='/var/db move'
  s='/var/db SLOT move'  %='binary move'  S='binary SLOT move'
  p='update /etc/portage/package.*'
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/1Q-2008..............
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/2Q-2008....................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/3Q-2008..............
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/4Q-2008...........................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/1Q-2009..............
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/2Q-2009.....................................................................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/3Q-2009......................................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/4Q-2009........................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/1Q-2010..........................................................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/2Q-2010.......................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/3Q-2010............
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/4Q-2010............................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/1Q-2011...........................................................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/2Q-2011............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/3Q-2011..........................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/4Q-2011.............................................................................................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/1Q-2012.......................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/2Q-2012........................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/3Q-2012.....................................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/4Q-2012.............................................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/1Q-2013..................................................................................................
/usr/portage/profiles/updates/2Q-2013............
##

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "heimdall".

emerge: searching for similar names... nothing similar found.

mark_d
Baby Hen

Re: How to install Heimdall?

Postby dave_64 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 16:01

You are not in the right directory to run "./configure". You need to be in libpit directory. Run your command from libpit directory. Then run:
make.

After that, go to heimdall subdirectory of heimdall-suite-1.4.0 and run:
./configure
make
sudo make install
The instructions for this are in the linux subdirectory of the heimdall-suite-1.4.0 directory README file
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby bolderbast » Sun Aug 18, 2013 17:08

Cool, was just trying to get heimdall working aswell!

For me, when running the ./configure command from the libpit directory results in an error. I seem to have an issue with GCC. Will look into that.

The preferred solution however would be that heimdall and heimdall-frontend be added to Entropy.
@maintainers: would you be willing to look into that?

Thanks!
bolderbast
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 17:33

Which version of sabayon are you running, and is it fully upgraded (system upgrade)? It ran ok for me.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby mark_d » Sun Aug 18, 2013 21:15

I did

cd libpit
./configure
make
cd ..

cd heimdall
./configure

received

[email protected] ~/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall $ ./configure
checking for pkg-config... no
checking for DEPS... no
configure: error: in `/home/xuser/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall':
configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables DEPS_CFLAGS
and DEPS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
See `config.log' for more details

so I installed pkg-config through Rigo

./configure
go through but now I stopped on
make
sudo make install

[email protected] ~/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall $ make
make  all-am
make[1]: Wejście do katalogu `/home/xuser/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall'
depbase=`echo source/Arguments.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.  -I/usr/include/libusb-1.0  -std=c++0x -I../libpit/Source   -g -O2 -MT source/Arguments.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o source/Arguments.o source/Arguments.cpp &&\
mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
depbase=`echo source/BridgeManager.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.  -I/usr/include/libusb-1.0  -std=c++0x -I../libpit/Source   -g -O2 -MT source/BridgeManager.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o source/BridgeManager.o source/BridgeManager.cpp &&\
source/BridgeManager.cpp: In member function ‘bool Heimdall::BridgeManager::DetectDevice()’:
source/BridgeManager.cpp:503:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_NONE’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:507:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:511:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_WARNING’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:515:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_INFO’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:519:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp: In member function ‘int Heimdall::BridgeManager::Initialise(bool)’:
source/BridgeManager.cpp:568:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_NONE’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:572:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:576:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_WARNING’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:580:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_INFO’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:584:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp: In member function ‘void Heimdall::BridgeManager::SetUsbLogLevel(Heimdall::BridgeManager::UsbLogLevel)’:
source/BridgeManager.cpp:1354:37: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_NONE’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:1358:37: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:1362:37: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_WARNING’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:1366:37: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_INFO’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:1370:37: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG’ was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [source/BridgeManager.o] Błąd 1
make[1]: Opuszczenie katalogu `/home/xuser/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall'
make: *** [all] Błąd 2
[email protected] ~/Pobrane/heimdall-suite-1.4.0/heimdall $ sudo make install
Hasło:
Sorry, try again.
Hasło:
depbase=`echo source/BridgeManager.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.  -I/usr/include/libusb-1.0  -std=c++0x -I../libpit/Source   -g -O2 -MT source/BridgeManager.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o source/BridgeManager.o source/BridgeManager.cpp &&\
source/BridgeManager.cpp: In member function ‘bool Heimdall::BridgeManager::DetectDevice()’:
source/BridgeManager.cpp:503:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_NONE’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:507:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:511:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_WARNING’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:515:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_INFO’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:519:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp: In member function ‘int Heimdall::BridgeManager::Initialise(bool)’:
source/BridgeManager.cpp:568:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_NONE’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:572:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:576:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_WARNING’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:580:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_INFO’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:584:36: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp: In member function ‘void Heimdall::BridgeManager::SetUsbLogLevel(Heimdall::BridgeManager::UsbLogLevel)’:
source/BridgeManager.cpp:1354:37: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_NONE’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:1358:37: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:1362:37: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_WARNING’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:1366:37: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_INFO’ was not declared in this scope
source/BridgeManager.cpp:1370:37: error: ‘LIBUSB_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [source/BridgeManager.o] Błąd 1

any help?
mark_d
Baby Hen

Postby uhmzilighase » Wed Aug 21, 2013 20:36

mark_d wrote:
any help?

I was able to build libpit & heimdall-frontend but receveived the same failures as you when trying to build heimdall itself.

However....there is no reason you cannot simply download a precompiled Ubuntu package and extract the requisite binary.
I use unp (available through your package manager) for easy file extraction.

unp ubuntu13.04-heimdall_1.4.0-0_amd64.deb
x - debian-binary
x - control.tar.gz
x - data.tar.gz

$ rm -f control.tar.gz debian-binary
$ unp data.tar.gz
./
./usr/
./usr/share/
./usr/share/doc/
./usr/share/doc/heimdall/
./usr/share/doc/heimdall/changelog.Debian.gz
./usr/local/
./usr/local/bin/
./usr/local/bin/heimdall
./usr/local/lib/
./usr/local/lib/udev/
./usr/local/lib/udev/rules.d/
./usr/local/lib/udev/rules.d/60-heimdall.rules
$ su
# cp ./usr/local/bin/heimdall /usr/bin
uhmzilighase
Baby Hen

Postby Cb7 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 14:40

Really not in Portage? (Before doing anything read at least: http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... nd_Portage )
emerge --search heimdall
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : heimdall ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  app-mobilephone/heimdall
      Latest version available: 1.4.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 6,411 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/
      Description:   Tool suite used to flash firmware onto Samsung Galaxy S devices
      License:       MIT

To look in what Portage has, firstly you have to download list of it:
emerge --sync

Now when you have it, take care of compatibility with Sabayon (I'm not sure whether it's necessary in this case):
layman -a sabayon
layman -a sabayon-distro
layman -s

And now you may install it via Portage:
emerge -avt app-mobilephone/heimdall
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area